STICKY: UPDATE TAGS IN YOUR DJ SOFTWARE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Friday, January 31, 2014 1:09 AM

Once files have been analyzed by MIK, you have to tell your other software to read the file tags again. Instructions for doing this in most popular DJ apps can be found in the Personalize/Connect with DJ Software tab in Mixed In Key. If you've followed these instructions, and still don't see your keys for some or all of your files:

1. Check to see what file format the files are. Only certain file types can be tagged and read in your DJ software, the most commonly file types that have full tagging support are MP3, MP4/M4A/AAC, FLAC, and AIFF. WAV files are not tagged by MIK because they do not contain ID3 tags and metadata support for them is so poor.

2. It could simply be a glitch that the tags weren't written correctly the first time. You should select the files in MIK's browser, right click on the selection, and choose to retag the files. Once the files have been retagged follow the procedure for refreshing the tags in your DJ software again.

3. If you had file renaming turned on in MIK, you won't be able to refresh the tags in your music library software. When MIK renames the files, your library software will have the incorrect file name, and the files will need to be reimported or the filenames changed back to their original state. To correct this please select all of the files in MIK's Browse Collection panel, right click on the selection, and choose "Remove Keys from Filename." You should also turn off the file renaming option to prevent this from happening again.

4. If you are using iTunes, make sure when you go to refresh the tags you DO NOT check the box for comments. If you did you just overwrite the tags that MIK wrote, you need to be checking a box THAT YOU DO NOT PLAN ON USING.

5. The files might be stored in a folder that is read only, or the files themselves might be set to read only. Right click one of the files that isn't updating in your DJ software and check to make sure that read&write permissions are enabled. Another easy way to test this is to drag a file onto your desktop and analyze it from there, then add it back to your DJ software. If it then works, the problem lies in the folder containing your music files.

6. If you are using Traktor, note that the 'check consistency' menu option is only found if you are browsing files in Traktor's collections. If you are looking at the files in the iTunes playlists in Traktor or Serato software products, the files need to be updated first in iTunes. Note that the key will not show in the Key column if you are browsing iTunes playlists in Traktor or Serato because iTunes does not have a Key field. You have to use the comments field or import the files into Traktor or Serato collections if you want to use the Key column in those programs.

7. If you are using newer versions of Traktor 2, the keys written by MIK to the INITIALKEY field will show in Traktor's "Key Text" column. If you do not see this column, you can add it to the browser by right clicking on the browser headers and selecting it. If you are seeing Traktor's Open Key notation there instead of our Camelot Keys, then you have Traktor set to write their keys to that field and you need to change what field it is writing to to something other than Key Text. These options can be found in the Analysis tab in the Traktor preferences. Once you have Traktor properly configured not to interfere with MIK you need to retag the files in MIK, which you can do in the Personalize/Update Tags tab. The tags will then need to be refreshed in Traktor to once again read the MIK tags.

8. Check to make sure that the files you analyzed in MIK are the same ones in your DJ software and not a separate copy of the files. iTunes can be especially confusing for new users because it is set by default to make a copy of your files in the iTunes Media folder. You can drag and drop files from most DJ apps directly into MIK, which is my preferred method of adding files.

9. If you are using Serato and .m4a (AAC or ALAC) or .mp4 files and you don't see the key in the Key field of Serato you probably need to update your Serato software. MP4 files don't contain a standard InitialKey tag, so the industry has adopted a custom tag. Older versions of Serato (think 2011) did not support this custom tag.

10. The ID3 tags may be in a strange format that is causing them to be incompatible. Stripping and converting the ID3 tags can often fix this type of problem, but we would much prefer to fix the incompatibility by making an adjustment to our tag writing code. Make a backup of a few files before performing this procedure, and if it works send the backup files to us by following the instructions in the next step. Instructions for the strip and convert can be found in Tip #3 here.

11. If you've checked the above troubleshooting guide and still don't see your keys in your music library, please upload one of the files that you have analyzed but isn't showing its key to speedyshare.com, send the download link to contact@mixedinkey.com and we will take a look at it. Also, please include a brief description with the file so that we will know what the file is in regards to. The more information you can provide the better the chance of finding a quick solution. Things like where you had MIK write the key, what software you are trying to view the key results in, what operating system you are using, and what version the software is are all helpful.

Gravatar
fofo's
Friday, October 05, 2012 10:13 AM

Thank you.
Tonight proves it ....

Gravatar
dj_ekg
Saturday, October 06, 2012 11:21 AM

Hi,

I have already analyzed all my tracks on MIK but I can't figure out how to transfer the info into Traktor 2.5, I've been doing manually but I'm looking for a better way to do this process.

Please advise

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Sunday, October 07, 2012 6:16 AM

Have you followed the instructions found in the Personalize/Connect with DJ Software tab in Mixed In Key? If so and you are still having trouble please follow the troubleshooting guide in the first post in this thread.

Gravatar
fofo's
Monday, October 08, 2012 2:04 AM

Good morning.
I tried all weekend guide you sent me and there's no way I leave the key.
I have to tell you that I have all my music on an external drive and music folders that are in this external disk eitunes not go through ...
I have done traktor and select playlist of the tracks from there ...
I tested the hard drive and nothing, I have analyzed the playlist in traktor and nothing ...
I have to do??
Thank you very much.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, October 08, 2012 3:32 AM

If you've checked the above troubleshooting guide and still don't see your keys in your music library, please upload one of the files that you have analyzed but isn't showing it's key to speedyshare.com, send the download link to contact@mixedinkey.com and we will take a look at it. Also, please include a brief description with the file so that we will know what the file is in regards to.

Gravatar
dj_ekg
Monday, October 08, 2012 9:30 PM

It did work ! Thanks

Gravatar
dj_ekg
Monday, October 08, 2012 9:30 PM

It did work ! Thanks

Gravatar
Dufferg
Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Hi Guys

I'm new on here but finding it some what confusing having watch 4 videos still

Here Goes I bought Mixed in Key obviously for mixing benefits and to use with itunes and then with Traktor
so heres my problem >>

Am I right in saying that we have to add the keys to itunes also I have seen the key being displayed in Traktor but I am still unable to get my own to display and Yes I have read the instructions.

Gav

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Friday, October 12, 2012 5:42 AM

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:48 PM Dufferg wrote:

Am I right in saying that we have to add the keys to itunes

If you are browsing iTunes playlists in Traktor the files do need to be updated in iTunes first.

also I have seen the key being displayed in Traktor but I am still unable to get my own to display

What tag fields did you have Mixed In Key write the key to? Have you refreshed the file tags in iTunes yet? Are you looking at the files in iTunes playlists in Traktor, or in Traktor collections?

Gravatar
DJ Fleur
Monday, October 15, 2012 12:29 AM

Hi Chad,

I would like to know how you can have MIK show in itunes and Serato. If you have the key showing in Serato in the key field, bcos you have 'update custom initial key' ticked in MIK, where can you can have it show in itunes? The problem is that if I tick it to appear in 'comments' in itunes, it will then show in comments too in Serato. Same as if i select 'write song key in file tab' Please help?

I just want it to show in the key field in Serato and the comments field in iTunes, without it doubling up in Serato. I have spent hours searching the net for a work around, but no joy?

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, October 15, 2012 3:18 AM

On Monday, October 15, 2012 12:29 AM DJ Fleur wrote:

I just want it to show in the key field in Serato and the comments field in iTunes, without it doubling up in Serato.

Such an option is not possible without creating a separate copy of your music library for each program, Serato and iTunes read the same data from the ID3 tags.

Gravatar
DJ Fleur
Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:52 PM

Ok. But is there a way to stop it showing twice in Serato? Why would I choose to have it appear in the key field, if it will also appear in 'comments' field too? Surely I don't have to delete keys one by one in the comments field?

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Friday, October 19, 2012 10:39 AM

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:52 PM DJ Fleur wrote:

Ok. But is there a way to stop it showing twice in Serato?

Yes, you can configure the tag writing settings in the Personalize/Update Tags menu. If you don't want it written to the comment tag, select the do not update common tags option.

Why would I choose to have it appear in the key field, if it will also appear in 'comments' field too?

Having the key in the Key and comment fields provides compatibility for the widest number of third party apps possible.

Surely I don't have to delete keys one by one in the comments field?

If you don't have any other info in the comments field you can select all of your tracks in Serato, delete the comment tag, and it will erase the comment tag for all of the files. If you do have information in the comments tag that you want to preserve other than the key you can remove all of the key tags written by MIK by selecting the files in MIK's browse collection window and choosing the clean ID3 tags or remove keys from tags option. You'll then have to remove the files from MIK's browser and reanalyze them to have the key written only to the key field.

Gravatar
RobFielding
Monday, November 19, 2012 7:41 AM

Just thought I'd share my experiences for whoever is having a similar issue as I had. I just moved to a new MBP and migrated all my software, after which MIK was behaving strange. I imported about 20 songs, it wrote tempo and keys for everything, but in iTunes, the key only showed up for the top file of the list that I imported, very strange. I checked and changed a few settings on how to write tags but nothing changed. Finally I decided to check if MIK was writing anything in the "empty" tracks' comment box at all, so I manually overwrote all comment boxes with a random word (boo! actually :D). I reimported the tracks in MIK and for some reason that seems to have fixed it, as after the import the keys were all there in iTunes.

Gravatar
idontlikefacebook
Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:39 PM

Hi.

I DJ using as many WAVE audio files as possible for quality. MIK is analysing them but doesn't seem to be tagging the keys and BPMs in the comments field.

Any help would be most welcome.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:13 AM

WAV files aren't tagged, see #1 in the troubleshooting guide in the first post.

Gravatar
Sentinel01
Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:48 PM

Hi!

I have this problem in Serato right now. It only happens with some m4a files (iTunes store), mp3 files show keys properly. The strange thing is that I re-analyzed my whole music library with 5.5 and earlier bought m4a files show key tags and those purchased yesterday don't. BTW, the energy level numbers are showing in those files. I also checked your guide at the beginning of this post, everything is as it should. I'm using also the latest version on Serato.

Thanks.

Gravatar
DJ Boemerang
Friday, January 11, 2013 10:18 AM

Hi !

Is it possible that the next versions of MIK are able to tag WAV. files ??
I use them for all of my dj applications and I am convinced that many other DJ ´s also use them and also looking forward to tagg those files.
Anyway i`m shure that WAV. files are very pupular.

Thank you for all regards

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Friday, January 11, 2013 10:25 PM

On Friday, January 11, 2013 10:18 AM DJ Boemerang wrote:

Anyway i`m shure that WAV. files are very pupular.

Not if I have anything to do with it. Convert your WAV files to AIFF, they are the same quality, with the only difference being that they contain ID3 metadata tags which are supported by every audio program on the planet.

Gravatar
DJ Boemerang
Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:41 AM

ok thank you

i also have platinum notes and i converted all my MP3 files to WAV files and i dont understand why pn is able to convert MP3 files into WAV files and not into AIFF files when mik doesnt support the WAV format

thank you for your help

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:00 PM

It's quit simple really. MIK 5.5 with AIFF tagging came out after PN 3.0. When PN 3.0 came out we didn't tag AIFF files.

Gravatar
DJ Boemerang
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:23 PM

ok and is it right that mik will never be able to tagg WAV files ?
and will pn be able to convert MP3 files to AIFF files or do i need another programm ?
if yes, wich programm e.g ?

thank you

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:01 PM

MIK in it's current form will not write tags to WAV files, and if it did they would be poorly supported by third party apps. PN4 will output files in AIFF format. If tags are important to you in PN output files the only option now is MP3, after which there is no reason to convert them to a higher quality file as they are already MP3.

Gravatar
dan b
Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:23 PM

i wasnt able to upload a track or anything and send it you because i waited nearly 10 mins and hadnt even uploaded 1% so that's a bit bum. But once ive sorted all the settings on MIK ready to sync with itunes, it will only update the comments section for literally half of the tracks i analysed. I know im doing it right because its the same as what i did last time. I think. Once the comments are in itunes, i have no problem with serato after that. Its just getting all the boxes filled.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:04 PM

You can try converting the ID3 tags in iTunes per the instructions in Tip #3 here, but if that is the case I would still like to get an example file before you perform that operation so we can fix it permanently in our tag writing code. If speedyshare isn't working for you try Wetransfer. These are the upload sites I recommend because of low amounts of ads and a lack of waiting periods before a download can begin.

Gravatar
Sentinel01
Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:00 PM

Hi!

I can't see the keys to files that I have purchased from iTunes (m4a). This problem started to occur after upgrading to MIK 5.5. All mp3 files that I have scanned with 5.5 show the keys. I'm using Serato Scratch Live. Also updated to the latest Serato version, still the keys don't show up on m4a files.

Any ides what's wrong?

PS. I have walked through your troubleshooting guide at the top of this post!

Best regards.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:27 PM

Please read the last step again.

Gravatar
JasonT
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:08 PM

Hey guys, first off, I love MIK it's a great product... I'm having trouble seeing the Energy Level Tag in Traktor Pro 2. I have selected the "...custom energy level tag' option in the preferences but do not see the custom tag anywhere in Traktor. Also, how to I get the Key and Energy Level to display in the Traktor track info window on track A & B so that I do not loose track of what's playing? Thanks...

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:36 AM

Traktor doesn't have a custom energy level field. I suggest putting the key and energy level in front of the song name.

Gravatar
djgerman sandoval
Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:22 PM

buenas noches tengo un problema con mixxed in key pase unas carpetas de música para que el programa las analizara y me sale un error y luego me salió (null) por que me sale eso en mixed in key por favor me pueden ayudar gracias

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, March 04, 2013 1:40 PM

Please write contact@mixedinkey.com for tech support. Include the version of Mixed In Key that you are using, and what operating system you are using it on.

Gravatar
djgabrielhanson
Friday, May 03, 2013 3:28 AM

I must be tired but this is what is happening. Had an older version of MIK. Updated to a newer version and linked it with my Traktor. Needless to say when I reimported the files Traktor did not recognize the keyes in the 1A, 1B format, etc. And I had to re-anylize all of my files just because I upgraded to the latest version of MIK. And I did the trick with CHECK CONSISTENSY thing but it worked only after the files we re-anylized. What am I doing wrong? Had two re-anylize over 3K files, ugh :-( I simply don't have the time or patience to be doing this everytime you update MIK and add new features..please help!

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:08 AM

Updating MIK doesn't have anything to do with the ID3 tags that were previously present in your audio files from prior analysis. If you are adding files to Traktor that were keyed before and you are not now seeing the keys, follow the troubleshooting guide.

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 9:10 PM

I have analysed my music and it has worked, when I use windows explorer all of my tracks have the key in the comments. When I import them into iTunes none of them show up. The only way that I can get them to show up is to convert the ID3 tags to None. Issue with this is that it cuts the song name off if it is too long. Any idea?

Cheers Peter

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:34 PM

Have you tried directly converting them to version 2.3, instead of none first?

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:45 PM

yeah it doesn't do anything. The only thing that works is to set them to none. I have downloaded MP3Tag and have been playing with that. Removing the tags, then saving them with v2.3 seems to work. I then need to delete them from itunes and reimport them for it to work. Pain in the arse, itunes is really annoying, but i use my itunes playlists as my sets in Tractor so it needs to be done. Once I have got all 10,000+ songs done I will be happy.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Friday, July 05, 2013 1:58 PM

Have you tried refreshing the tags in iTunes after editing the ID3 tag version in MP3Tag? If you can send contact@mixedinkey.com one of the files from before you edited it we may be able to help with a better solution.

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:38 PM

By refreshing the tags, do you mean Get Info and change a field? Yes, done this it doesn't do anything? I will send some examples over, cheers

Gravatar
itzcomedina
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:05 AM

Is it possible to force MIK to re-tag only a selected number of songs?
iTunes Match has removed the Key info from around 50 songs from a Collection of almost 10,000 songs. I don´t want waste time re-tagging the entire Collection.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:52 PM

Yes there is, you would have to select only those songs and then right click on the selection.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:33 PM

Yes there is, you would have to select only those songs and then right click on the selection.

Gravatar
BLZRD.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:29 PM

This is very frustrating and time consuming! I converted all 11,000 songs ID3Tags and converted all to MP3s. Then, I re-analyzed all my songs in mik. Then, I refreshed all my songs in iTunes (using a "z" in the composer section) after all songs were re-analyzed in mik.

STILL, THE SAME 70% OF MY SONGS AREN'T UPDATING IN ITUNES. FRUSTRATING!!!

I wrote this yesterday (Sept 16) and have been struggling with this ever since: "I analyzed all my songs in MIK, then made sure to follow instructions on how to update. I go to iTunes and add a "z" to composer to update and about 30% of my songs get updated with key and bpm. I can't seem to figure out how to update the remaining 70%.

I'm using OS X Version 10.8.4 on a Macbook Pro. iTunes 11.0.5 up-to-date. All my files are MP3's.

What else do you need to know to fix this? It's very frustrating.

Thanks"

I also sent an email to contact@mixedinkey.com with a copy of one of my files, but I got this in reply:

"Your message to info@mixedinkey.com was automatically rejected:Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)"

...interesting. Must be a lot of frustrating users in this community.

PLEASE HELP A PAYING AND FRUSTRATED CUSTOMER OF YOURS

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:56 PM

BLZRD (if that is your real name!) i have found a solution to this issue. 60% of the time, it works every time.

The issue is this - say your track in itunes has an ID3 Tag which is V2.3 and you run the track through MIK it will now have 2 ID3 tags, one in V2.3 and one in V2.4 (this is only an example, don't get caught up on the versions). iTunes will only read one of the tags and for the 70% that you are talking about it must be reading the other tag.

Solution - download an mp3 tag manager, i am currently using MP3Tag, with is a bit fiddly, but does the job. Your using Mac so you will have to find an equivalent. Put all you tracks through MIK. Open in explorer and make sure that they all show the key info in the comments field. Then open then with MP3Tag, and copy all the information onto one version of the tags, in my case V2.3. Then delete the V2.4 tag. Boom, problem solved. Then open up itunes, and do the z update thing and you should be good to go.

It took me a while to perfect this. hit me up of you need any more help

Peter

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:25 PM

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:29 PM BLZRD. wrote:

I also sent an email to contact@mixedinkey.com with a copy of one of my files, but I got this in reply:

"Your message to info@mixedinkey.com was automatically rejected:Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)"

You must not have read the instructions very closely, I've put the important part in bold for you to make it easier to read:

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:40 AM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

If you've checked the above troubleshooting guide and still don't see your keys in your music library, please upload one of the files that you have analyzed but isn't showing its key to speedyshare.com (or other ad-free file sharing service), send the download link to contact@mixedinkey.com and we will take a look at it. Also, please include a brief description with the file so that we will know what the file is in regards to. The more information you can provide the better the chance of finding a quick solution. Things like where you had MIK write the key, what software you are trying to view the key results in, what operating system you are using, and what version the software is are all helpful.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:35 PM

@Peter - Thanks for jumping, you are correct that multiple ID3 tags can cause problems because some apps will read the first tag, some will read the last. I believe your solution is already covered in step 10 though, how to convert ID3 tag versions in iTunes. I've been helping people with ID3 tags for 6 years now and it's an extremely rare circumstance for the solution to not be listed here. Whenever I get an example file sent I always end up referring the DJ back to the appropriate step in this guide. The solutions are here, they just need to be read and followed to be effective.

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:15 PM

Thanks for your response Chad.

Step 10 doesn't really tell you how to strip the tags. I have tried stripping them via iTunes but this didn't work. I tried this numerous times and the only way I could get it to work was using a third party application, in this case MP3Tag. Doing it this way seems to work in almost every instance and once you work out how to do it is an easy process - buy tune, process in MIK, process in MP3Tag, import to itunes = happy DJ

Just trying to help and share my experience.

Cheers Peter

Gravatar
BLZRD.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:18 PM

@Peter, you're awesome man, thank you!

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 11:27 PM

No probs mate, it annoyed me for ages.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:23 AM

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:15 PM djmaxwell2 wrote:

Step 10 doesn't really tell you how to strip the tags.

You're right, but it links to the original post where I gave instructions for stripping the tags several years ago. Did you follow the link?

I have tried stripping them via iTunes but this didn't work.

I'd like to see a file that stripping according to my instructions didn't fix this type of problem for. If you could please send it according to the instructions in the last step I would appreciate it.

Gravatar
djmaxwell2
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:32 AM

Hi Chad, unfortunately, I don't keep a running database of which tracks did and didn't work using iTunes, but I can confirm out of my 10,000 or so songs it was a considerable amount. I would estimate approximately 70% didn't work using the iTunes ID3 feature.

The only way I could get it to work was the way I have mentioned, and the ones that didn't work I have now fixed using MP3Tag. Sorry I cant be more helpful with particular examples. The next time I buy some tracks I will try iTunes and send them across for you.

I dont bother trying with iTunes anymore as it is easy enough to just use MP3Tag.

Regards Peter

Gravatar
LooseYellen
Monday, December 23, 2013 12:04 AM

Hey Chad, I unchecked keep the iTunes Folder organized in order to deal with id3 tag issues from multiples generations of Mixed In Key (this seems too technical for a program that is supposedly to ease the efficiency of said process). After following these instructions and re-installing and re-analyzing and re-tagging, I've had no success and now iTunes is re-organizing my library of 100,000+ songs.

Not an enjoyable process in the slightest.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, December 23, 2013 2:54 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble LooseYellen. I don't know why iTunes would be re-organizing your songs, unless you had the key written to the artist name. What you are asking falls outside the normal realms of updating tags, can you please write contact@mixedinkey.com so I can help you, and then we'll post the summary results of where you went wrong here once we find out what that is.

Gravatar
gareth.clark
Monday, December 30, 2013 6:06 PM

My rather long winded workflow for digital files is this:

1) Import into iTunes and add to relevant playlist
2) Analyse in Mixed In Key (I've been using this for years)
3) Import and analyse into Rekordbox
4) Import and analyse into Traktor
5) Compare key information and edit in Traktor
6) Lock the track in Traktor

Often MIK, Rekordbox and Traktor give different key results and I've found Traktor to be the least accurate of the 3 applications; but between the 3 I normally get it right and what ends up in my Traktor collection is usually correct: the track in Traktor will end up with the 'Key Text' column populated by the MIK value (like 5A) and the 'Key' column will be Cm.

The problem is that since version 2.6.2/3, Traktor will sometimes overwrite the Key Text column with the value 'Cm' when a track is loaded into a deck or single/double clicked - even if the track is locked.

Since I updated to 2.6.6, Traktor is now regularly overwriting the value in the Key Text column with what looks to be the text (5A) from the iTunes comments tag from the original iTunes file - and because I do my final editing in Traktor that value is sometimes wrong (typically if MIK got the wrong key and I changed it in Traktor)

I have also started to experiment with Rekordbuddy to sync Traktor and Rekordbox files.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Why is Traktor overwriting the values in the Key Text column and how do I stop it?
2) There must be a better way of working through the above process - I find Rekordbox and then MIK the most accurate for key detection, but I can't find the option to stop Traktor analysing keys
3) Any other suggestions?

thanks

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, December 30, 2013 11:37 PM

On Monday, December 30, 2013 6:06 PM gareth.clark wrote:

So my questions are as follows:

1) Why is Traktor overwriting the values in the Key Text column and how do I stop it?
2) There must be a better way of working through the above process - I find Rekordbox and then MIK the most accurate for key detection, but I can't find the option to stop Traktor analysing keys
3) Any other suggestions?

See #7 in the very first post in this thread.

Gravatar
gareth.clark
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:29 AM

On Monday, December 30, 2013 11:37 PM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

See #7 in the very first post in this thread.

Thanks Chad - on Traktor 2.6.6, in the Analyse Options tab of Preferences, I don't see an option to completely turn off Traktor's key analysis. All I have is 'Displayed in Traktor' and 'Written to File Tags'

regards
Gareth

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:56 PM

Just choose one of the options that isn't Key Text.

Gravatar
Fmolinam
Wednesday, January 01, 2014 10:10 AM

Chad the tag initialkey are different in flac and mp3 files, is correct?, in serato dj i cannot see key,which tag in serato do you use to write key

Gravatar
gareth.clark
Friday, January 03, 2014 6:24 AM

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:56 PM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

Just choose one of the options that isn't Key Text.

I did, and for some reason Traktor is still over-writing the value in the Key Text column (which originates from MIK) with it's own value from the Key column, and it is doing this even on analysed and locked tracks that are loaded into decks.

I realise this is more of a Traktor issue than an MIK one but I'm getting nothing from the NI forums or from NI themselves...

thanks
Gareth

Gravatar
Fmolinam
Monday, January 06, 2014 12:27 PM

In Serato mp3 no problem, i can see all , but en flac files NO.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, January 06, 2014 2:05 PM

Gareth, glad to hear you tried NI resources as well, it's too bad they don't support their (exceedingly complex) products better. Something just came to mind though, you might need to have MIK re-tag the files after you have changed the settings in Traktor. This is easy and fast to do, just select all of the files in MIK's collections browser, right click on the selection, and choose to have the files re-tagged. Then refresh the metadata in Traktor according to the instructions in MIK's Personalize/Connect with DJ Software tab.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Monday, January 06, 2014 2:07 PM

On Monday, January 06, 2014 12:27 PM Fmolinam wrote:

In Serato mp3 no problem, i can see all , but en flac files NO.

I think this is a limitation in Serato, we're already tagging FLAC files with the INITIALKEY tag. This might not be a standardized tag for FLAC files which would explain why Serato isn't reading it, I've seen forum posts on their forums that indicate they are aware of the problem. You might want to consider using a more common file format like Apple Lossless for better metadata support.

Gravatar
djactivator
Saturday, February 08, 2014 6:48 AM

I don't have a problem seeing the Keys, but I have a problem seeing the BPM, shows up as 000 in the library in Traktor latest build but when I actually load the track, BPM shows up in the track window

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Saturday, February 08, 2014 1:14 PM

The troubleshooting guide applies to any tag from MIK that you are trying to show in your DJ software.

Gravatar
gsj909
Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:34 AM

Is there any way to have the MIK tags in the "Lyrics" section of metadata in iTunes? thanks in advance.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:51 PM

You can find the available tagging options in the Personalize/Update Tags tab. Lyrics is not one of those.

Gravatar
PorkNBeans
Saturday, March 01, 2014 9:20 PM

I have an issue with this on Mac Mavericks, it adds the key to the right fields but it doesn't add it to the comments section. I've checked all the options within the program to make sure the right things were chosen and checked my folder permissions even though I knew they were all correct I checked anyhow.

Works fine on my Windows machine but it just will not append the key and energy level in the comments section at all.
It shows in MetaBliss that the tags have those fields in the comments section but it's not showing in Serato DJ, now normally I would blame Serato DJ software BUT like I stated above if I scan it in MiK on my Windows machine it shows in Serato DJ just fine on my Mac.

Gravatar
Chad P (Mixed In Key)
Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:55 AM

Please read the guide in the first post.