i bought Captain Plugins yesterday. I like all the features so much. Its a great tool. But why i can't use it offline. I'm using all my audio workstation offline for years now. I only go online to register a new plugin and now i should be always online? This is a NO GO for me! Is there any way to use these plugins offline?

Best Regards

James Araujo - MIK Team

I completely understand your frustration about the online requirement.

There are 3 reasons why Captain Plugins and Odesi only works online:

1) We wanted our users to access their sessions from anywhere in the world, like Dropbox. Personally, I've lost numerous Ableton sessions on old hard drives. I've lost sessions because I didn't have the VST installed anymore. I think at least 50% of the songs I've ever made is gone now because I cannot open them anymore. By creating an "Online" version of Odesi, we're able to store your projects in the cloud and allow you to access them from anywhere in the world, by clicking on the "Login" button on the Odesi website. The direct URL for that is

2) I know music producers that pirate all the software they use. They paid for nothing except their hardware. So, we made it online only, which makes it harder to pirate. It generates enough revenue that we can keep adding new features and plugins, like Captain Play which we just launched. It's a free update because people paid for this software. If nobody paid, the software wouldn't exist, and wouldn't get updated. You're supporting a small company of honest people with your money. If we help you make just ONE song that gets 1 million views on Youtube, I'm sure your investment into Captain Plugins and Odesi has paid off.

3) Mixed In Key has been an online-connected product for 11 years, and it has a huge, happy user-base. Your Facebook is an onlineapp. Your iCloud is an online app. It just takes getting used to, but music production can be done online too.

Let me know what you think :)

p.s. You can use Captain plugins offline to play the MIDI you've already written. However, you need to be connected to the Internet to write new MIDI notes inside the plugins themselves. Our generators require Internet access.

While I can understand your position, I feel that there are better alternatives.

1) Musicians should be smart enough to store their projects responsibly. I store all of mine on MS Onedrive, which means my computer/HD could be destroyed and I would still have all of my projects. There are a number of solutions like that that make it easy. Beyond that, what are you actually saving in the cloud? It can't be the complete project file, as the VST doesn't have access to that info. At most, it could save the presets and the progressions/melodies you've created in the plugin. Those are pretty useless on their own, as the real magic happens once you export your MIDI to the DAW. Finally, a hard drive crash would still mean you have to reinstall the VST. I don't really see the benefit in what you're saying here.

2) I think this is the real reason it's online only, and I can understand that. However, pretty much every other company manages to make their plugins profitable using offline technologies. Why not licence it with iLok? You may have noticed that iLok enabled software almost never shows up on pirating sites because it's very difficult to get around. Either way, the number of potential customers you're losing due to the online-only requirement probably outweighs the potential loss due to piracy. You have to remember - those who pirate it would not have bought it anyway. You're assuming that potential paying customers are becoming pirates, and I find this hard to believe.

3) This is professional music software, not Facebook and iCloud. Facebook is a free service which is funded by ads, for one. iCloud is free storage solution with payable tiers. Those are completely different models, and you're comparing apples to oranges.

Again, I understand your position, but you're doing yourself a disservice and you don't realize it. I believe this model will decrease revenue. The biggest problem is that you are asking us to pay for something, and then trust that Mixed In Key will be around for the foreseeable future. What if I want to use this in 10 years and for some reason you've gone out of business? How can you ask customers to pay for something that you could then cut off or charge more for in the future? I'm not saying you WILL, but that's beside the point. They users takes on all of the risk here. Most musicians, and particularly professional musicians, want to know that the software they use is THEIRS and that they can count on it, regardless of whether the company behind it still exists.

I've said it before, but every large and small plugin and DAW company has faced this decision, and the vast majority of them have come to the conclusion that offline is the way to go. Don't you think it would be foolish to assume that you somehow figured out how to make this model work? It doesn't work. I'm sure this won't change your mind, but it will certainly change the minds of many of your potential customers.

I hate iLok.And I dont want to use software online.Don't worry about people who don't pay, as long as the software is good enough, there's always someone to support.

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at