Gravatar
JMG8

I am thinking of purchasing Odesi. I prefer to have all the features in one plugin as opposed to having individual plugins for each. If I'm being honest, I'm not really understanding why there are so many separate Captain plugins (probably a marketing thing?) For example Captain Melody should already contain the call and response feature, why put them in a different plugin called Captain Hook? Also, in my opinion there is no need for a Captain Play plugin when this is already built into Captain Chords. Anyway..........

So the question is:
Can the Captain plugins do anything that Odesi can not?
Or will there be any future features that will be added to Captain plugins but not to Odesi?

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Captain Plugins run inside Ableton Live and Logic. They are VST plugins, and you can use them in your MIDI channels to write your tracks. Odesi is the stand-alone version that works on Mac and Windows. Basically, we took different pieces of Odesi and made them into modular synths/VSTs that can be used for one specific purpose, like making a chord progression. Personally, I use both. They are two separate tools for different ways of working on music.

We will keep updating both Odesi and Captain Plugins, so they will not have discrepancies in features :)

Gravatar
JMG8

I understand the differences that you mention.
I am very glad to hear that the features will be updated for both! That is pretty much what I needed to hear to confirm my purchase.

Just one last question though to put me at ease:

There is a mystery Captain plugin on the horizon.
Now I understand that it is secret, so without giving anything away, Will the features of that plugin be added to Odesi in the future?

Many thanks.

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Yes. It should :)

Gravatar
JMG8

Great, thank you so much for your quick responses.

You have a new Odesi customer :)

Gravatar
OverDriven

I'm with you on all these points. Captain Hook is completely redundant, as is Captain Play. I would buy Odesi if it weren't for the fact that I've seen numerous reviews that say it's extremely slow and buggy because it's actually some sort of web app. If you've bought it, can you shed some light on this?

Gravatar
JMG8

Cant help you mate unfortunately.
I had a last minute change of heart and decided to buy Captain Plugins.
When I really thought about it, I realised that I wanted to hear the newly generated ideas inside my projects. I feel that if for example I already had a great chord progression and bassline, but needed inspiration for a melody. I would need to hear that melody in context with the rest of the track.
I could recreate the track in Odesi, but that just feels like extra work.

Just have to wait now for the Windows version.......................

Gravatar
sanga.collins

I got Odesi, because I couldn't wait for Capt Plugs for windows. It is very impressive idea, but it is a web app running in a container so it suffers from the problems all webapps have with slow responses at times.

It can take 4 to 5 mins from opening app to displaying page to start work :(
It will crash or pop errors when I'm trying to load heavy VSTs like omnisphere.

Other than that it works great and I love it! can't wait for the windows version of Captain plugs so I do not have to work outside the DAW

Gravatar
tombuur

Just bought Odesi for Windows today. I have the same problem with a 4 minute start up. I think it scans all my plugins as a couple of apps like RX6 are started during this process. Why don't they just restrict plugin scanning to folders I have chosen? Then I can choose none, or a folder with just Kontakt or something.

Also, I have several problems with the GUI like invisible notes, cursor not moving etc. Actually Odesi is completely unusable to me because of this.

Looks like a good idea, but too buggy.

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com