Gravatar
aitte

I'm finding Captain Play to be the most fun and powerful part of all plugins, but it is also infuriating to work with...

• Where are alternative voicings? Needs many options for inversions.
  • Where is the "Complexity"? As in the name of that option from Captain Chords. Captain Play only plays triads and oooooonly triads. Would love to be able to do 2-note and 4-note versions too!
  • Needs options for spreading (such as root note -12, root note -24, highest note +12, highest note +24) to be able to make fat, spread-out chords instead of tight clusters of notes. Ie selecting both root -12 and highest +12 would make a fantastic, fat chord for something like strings.
  • The feedback I gave before: I am eagerly waiting for the addition of all other scales. Minor and Major are very boring. ;-)
  • MIDI CONTROL! To be able to play all of this from the keyboard. It could use Keyswitches in the C-1/C0/whatever two lowest octaves to toggle all options. That way, you could press for example D1 to switch to "6ths" and G0 to switch to an inversion. From then on, all key presses will be using those options. And the rest of the midi keyboard would be used for actually playing the chords. The higher up the keyboard, the higher octave on the root-note of each chord. Something like that... Just ANYTHING to let us jam with a MIDI keyboard instead of computer keyboard, please... ;(
  • More ideas about Midi Control: Since there are only 7 chords (i to vii), but 12 notes in an octave, that means every octave has 5 free notes that COULD be used for keyswitching. In this case, I may even propose this setup: The 7 white keys in the octave plays the seven chords (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII). The 5 black keys control the chord variations (sus2, sus4, 6th, 7th, 9th). So to play a normal "II" I would just press a D. For example a D3 would play a "II" with its root-note in the 3rd octave. A D6 would do the same in the 6th octave. But if I want to play a sustained chord? I'd hold down C# in ANY octave (could be done easily with my left hand for example) and THEN SIMULTANEOUSLY (while still holding C#) press the D6 to get a "II sus2". As soon as I release "C#" the white notes go back to playing regular (ie "II") chords. As for options such as inversions etc, those could also be done via keyswitches.
  • Heck, there are so many ways to do this. Another way: Put ALL keyswitches in the lowest 1 or 2 octaves, and make them "hold to engage; release to go back to normal chords". And the white keys on the rest of the keyboard play the I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII chords, whereas the 5 black keys per octave offer five of what Captain Play calls "Extra chords". That way, the black keys in each octave have a cool and sometimes useful feature... and keyswitching is relegated to the left-hand in the lowest octave.
  • Further ideas: The keyswitching could have an option to be either "Latching" or "Hold". In latch mode, you press a keyswitch and then it stays active even if you release that key. In Hold mode you must keep holding the keyswitch to keep it activated.

Tons of ideas. You really could and should explore this. It would make Captain Play so much fun. Actual MIDI keyboard jamming!!! ;-)

You guys should also download and check out the free, discontinued mucoder tonespace. Very powerful chord exploration tool. It will probably be able to give you some ideas.

Take care and good luck. I eagerly await updates as Captain plugins keep getting better. :-)

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Hey,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas!

I can definitely see how these features would be useful. I’ve just added them to our Wishlist and we will keep in mind for future development plans for sure.

What else would you like us to improve? We're open to ideas, and our software will evolve and become better with your feedback. Let us know if anything else comes to mind :)

Gravatar
aitte

Thanks for hearing me out and considering it. :-) I do have some news actually...

Check out https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4249-InstaChord. It was released today and it turns out that it does what I suggested! They have 24 different "action" keyswitches per keyboard, and you (the user) chooses what each slot does. For example, "slow strum" or "play 5th note of the chord" or "bass note" etc. You hold down a chord keyswitch, and then press the action key you want (there are 24 chord key slots and 24 action key slots).

This means that you are never stuck to saying "Ok, this specific slot is always a C Major played with a strum". You can literally play live and adjust how that C Major chord is played on-the-fly. With 24 different variations possible. And if you bind the white keys of an octave to "Play note 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 of the chord", you can literally hold a chord and then jam on the white keys to create melodies within that chord (kinda like captain melodies), and if you play note 1 (the bass) you can create "captain deep"-style basslines. So this way of keyswitch-playing really is suuuuper powerful! I would LOVE to see these features in Captain Play as it grows and evolves!

I own Captain, Scaler, InstaChord and Cthulhu and love them all. They really aren't competitors in my mind. They're all perfect complements and I use them all together and for different purposes. But if Captain gets more advanced live playing (with keyswitches exactly like InstaChord's super intuitive setup), and more complex scales and chord variations, then you're going to kill the need for any other plugins. That would be a good thing and force everyone else to up their game too. But Captain is already on another level compared to all of its competitors, and I love how easy it is to explore melodies and so on with Captain. I am very excited for Captain's future. :-)

Take care and good luck!

PS: OH MY GOD I saw "Captain Plugins Changelogs" and my heart EXPLODED when I saw "Enabled support for multiple different scales."... I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! That was the BIGGEST shortcoming of Captain plugins and it's FINALLY IMPROVED :D I LOVE YOU! After I read this it was the fastest "Press download!!" of my life!

Edit: This is a near perfect selection of scales! I can only think of missing these 2: Altered scale and Harmonic major scale, can you please add those too? :)

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I've added your idea to add Altered scale and Harmonic major scale to our Wishlist.

Our developers will definitely take into consideration when working on new updates :)

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com