Gravatar
RVRV

Iam thinking about buying either Scaler or Captain Chords - i like Captain Chords more because of all the in-built composition tools - the rhythm and the timeline editing (Scaler in comparison is basically just a chord librarian). But most of the youtube reviews mention Captain Chords only support Major and Minor scales. Iam not sure if that already changed in version updates but its a showstopper for me. In that respect Scaler gives you access to vast musical universe of scales (23 scales available at this moment if i count right). I can see some hints in Captain Changelog thread but i cant find ANY details anywhere on internet (including product page). Could you post a COMPLETE list of scales that are available in Captain Chords latest version (for Windows). A PDF manual to download before purchase would also be nice to read about the functionality and figure out what is (or isnt) possible to do before purchasing.

Thank you
RVRV

Gravatar
Bansaw

Yeah, they upped their game a bit and now there's a lot more. Mind you, they could add some more. And I would like Captain Play to pass chorsd to Capt Chords.
I demoed Scaler and what edged it for me was Capt Melody, Deep etc.
Hers a scale list from current ver: Image Text

Gravatar
RVRV

Ooooooooo. Thats what i was hoping for. You made my day Bansaw. Sweet. Is this also on Windows version ? Because i know the Windows development is catching up to the Mac versions. I wouldnt want to pay and find out that the expanded scale list is only on Mac at this moment...

I have suplementary question now... Since there is no DEMO to figure out myself. Does the Captain Chords allow you to play chords live on MIDI keyboard and have the program recognise them ? Its called DETECT MODE in Scaler but iam not sure if Captain Chords lets you input chords with auto-recognition via MIDI keyboard or you have to FIRST choose the scale from a dropdown menu (like your screenshot) and than manually work from there...

Thanks

Gravatar
Bansaw

The screenshot I posted was from the Windows version. I am running Win10 and Reaper.

Secondly, there have been a few people on the case of MixedInKey to have Captain Chords recognize MIDI fed to it. They might not realize but this is the reason why many people like Scalar, and why almost bought it (like yourself and I). They should wake up to the fact that a $29 plugin is competing so well with their $79 plugin, and this is a main reason.
The only reason I bought theirs over Scalar was because of Capt Deep and Melody and the promised Hook etc.
We need to petition MixedInKey to add this as a feature. There have been a few people mentioned it apart from me, so hopefully they'll realize it and not lose to much business.

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com