Gravatar
TonyByte

How do you show sharps? My E minor shows Gb and G chords. I see on the YouTube tutorial that it can show F# but I can't find the toggle.
Thanks in advance.

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Hey Tony,

We are using a different notation for it.

Here is how you can convert the rest of the scales for future reference: 

C# -> Db
D# -> Eb
E# -> F
F# ->  Gb
G# -> Ab
A# -> Bb

Let me know if it helps :)

Gravatar
TonyByte

If the chord plugin should do 1 thing as advertised, it should show the correct chords in a key. To say that you are using a "different notation" sacrifices your integrity and destroys trust. There isn't a different way to show the diatonic chords of E minor. I am aware that an F# is the same as a Gb but for you to teach newbs the incorrect diatonic chords names in a key is disturbing. The honest answer is, "we are aware of the problem". It would be nice if you added "and will fix it in the next release".

B major has two D's? Which college teaches this? Inconvenient, confusing and not helpful. This is a limitation of your software and gives the impression that your devs don't know how to fix it or someone doesn't understand it. I'd appreciate it if you just admitted it's displayed wrong instead of blowing smoke or confusing newbs. Your software is supposed to show the correct chords for a chosen key. It simply does not. This in not a matter of opinion.

Highly disappointing, downplayed response.

You are trying to imply here that your company optionally and purposely show G major having both G and G flat? Is that why you made F# appear in your YouTube video that shows the key of E minor? Why? Implying that you have chose this on purpose also means you have no intention of correcting it or being honest with purchasers.

Can you clearly articulate why you chose to do this on purpose and how it is helpful? Will there be no more attempts to correct this confusing, major flaw?

Gravatar
JMG8

Where on the GUI are you seeing these incorrect notes? I have taken a look here for you and couldn't find any wrong notes at all.
Could you give me specific scale and chord where it shows and I will take a look.

As for James reply to your first post. I think that he thought you were just confused by the difference between sharps and flats. I also thought that was the case. This would explain why his response was downplayed.
However, after reading your second post, I can see you are talking about incorrect notes in a chord.
You were a bit hot-headed to be honest and need to chill out a bit.

Gravatar
TonyByte

I'm not hot headed. You are assuming my tone of voice. I was frustrated that this came to a dead end here.

(1) "he thought you were just confused by the difference between sharps and flats"

where in the software then, was he telling me that you "use a different notation"?

(2) "Could you give me specific scale and chord where it shows and I will take a look."

The specific keys and chords that I gave were:
E minor shows 2 G chords. It names the ii chord as Gb dim5 (incorrect) and the iii chord as G (correct) . Again, Gb being the same as F# is irrelevant. It's simply not the correct diatonic chord names displayed by any standards. This causes confusion while teaching incorrect theory. There are multiple reasons only showing flats is inconvenient (calculating secondary dominants, confusing newbs, efficiently communicating my progression to another person, etc.). - "Someone: Cool progression, what chord is that?" Me: Oh, it's the Gbdim5 chord". Someone: "...oh, what key are you in? I want to try this." Me: "I'm in E minor". Someone: "...wait... what?" Me: "Sorry, it's Captain Chords. Let's see that would be... F#dim". Someone: "Cool plugin, bro. Why don't they just make it the correct chord name in the first place?" Me: "Ask them. I tried but I'm hot headed." ;)

B Major doesn't show a C chord at all. The ii should be C# minor. Think about it. Ask anyone the diatonic chords of B Major. Would they skip C completely? How could a band communicate and jam and write music together? It's incorrect music theory. The iii chord shows as Eb min. It should be D# minor. So your ii chord is showing a chord based on D and your iii chord which should be based on D (D# minor) is showing a chord based on E. I could go on about what diatonic chords you show for this one key alone. The bottom line is that what I see is wrong, inconvenient, and confusing. -

(3) "I have taken a look here for you and couldn't find any wrong notes at all."

Fantastic. You must be showing sharps. How do you show sharps?

You either see sharps or don't understand diatonic chords. You simply take every note of a scale and use them as root notes. You build the chords based on the notes of a scale and the name of each chord is derived from that scale note. You make chord progressions from those chords. It's not optional to skip letters or rename chords. It's like speaking a language. you are speaking it wrong. It's too confusing for more reasons than I listed here.

(4) Here, you show F# https://youtu.be/oA7tPIIyhzg?t=37s . If it's possible, great. Please tell me how. If it's not, I assume your team made this appear correct just for the video. Interesting. Why?

Gravatar
sunrise1

lol

Gravatar
TonyByte

"i dont think the Gb matters because... is about creating chord patterns not scale notes" - Gb is the incorrect chord clearly displayed in this chord program. This is not an opinion. It's a fact that it shows the incorrect names. Knowing the correct chords helps determine other chords and substitutions much easier and many other things that is just ridiculous for me to list or teach someone here. Just show the correct names. Each chord should be named according to the notes of the scale / key. Captain Chords gets this wrong. Basic stuff. This disrupts my workflow of being as simple as possible and doing the work for me. That's their goal and what's advertised so I am asking for it to be fixed. To not fix it or ignore it may not matter to you but I can't see how this is a good decision by a developer for a chord theory / helper plugin. What's the benefit of not fixing it?

"i have no problem with that after all the program is about creating chord patterns not scale notes" - The names of the chords in a key are derived from the scale of the key. Name the scale notes wrong, you get the wrong chords names.

"when you drag your chord pattern into your DAW it shows up as f#" That is your workflow, not mine. They advertise and support other workflows even shown in their videos. Also, you are only talking about seeing the root note. I'm talking about chords. My DAW doesn't tell me that a chord in piano roll is Gb5 dim 1st inversion or whatever...and that's one of the selling points to Captain Chords (?). What DAW are you using that shows complete chord names including extensions and inversions? You say I'm talking about scale notes. However, you seem to be talking about single notes here. This is all irrelevant. Captain Chords shows the wrong diatonic chord names. You just don't care. Cool.

"even though in captain chords it shows Gb" - This is the problem you don't care about. It's incorrect.

"if you look at the chord where the note sits on Gb its clear its f# i dont see what the problem is" - This is a shallow work-around. The root note is not the only issue. This also leads to other problems when writing that I'm not getting into because it is irrelevant. Captain Chords shows the incorrect chord names.... yet you "don't see what the problem is". I'm glad you don't care. I'm hoping they do.

I find it hard to believe the developers would even attempt to justify this or refuse to fix it. They have a brand to protect, should look like experts, want to be a dependable leader and better than the competition, and should want to satisfy all future customers. Is this asking that much, really? The correct chord names in a chord plugin, seriously? This should be top priority for "Captain Chords". I assume they will eventually agree.

Gravatar
sunrise1

lol

Gravatar
TonyByte

You don't need to see how it affects my workflow, I don't need to drag anything into my DAW to make use of this tool, and the scope of this problem is not as elementary as you conclude. I unnecessarily went into some of it and responded to every one of your points and theirs. You seem to be ignoring it so our conversation is clearly one sided and over. Speed, writing, strategy, borrowing from other keys, etc.; all hindered. These incorrect names make all of their substitution variants on the second row of suggested chords incorrect as well. This second row can be used to determine other usable chords. However, now we are levels deep into the wrong chord names and it will take going back to level one, the wrong name, and figuring it all out. This is a major flaw whether you comprehend it's affect or not. You don't even need to use it this deep. The root of problem is that even the basic diatonic chords are shown with the wrong names and no sharps. That's a very basic thing that this plugin should show correctly.

If the correct chord names are shown in "Captain Chords", this is all resolved.

They show an F# in their video. I simply came to find out how. They haven't even acknowledged the issue and you are here telling me why it's not an issue. Not helpful. What's your objective here?

Gravatar
sunrise1

lol

Gravatar
TonyByte

Currently, I don't want a refund. It's a fantastic tool with the potential to be the best available. However, I'm having an issue with it. Brilliant suggestion though. If only there was a central place of assembly for users where they preferred us to ask questions. Everyone could see the answers and not repeat the questions. They could organize them with categories. We could post links, photos and explanations. They could help everyone, address concerns, take suggestions, and get less returns. Someone should invent that. Maybe they could call it a Forum or something similar.

Gravatar
JMG8

Ah, now I understand it!
Each scale has to have one of each letter in it, right?
So E minor scale would have E F G A B C D.
As the software only uses flats and no sharps, it shows 2 Gs.
OK, so now I understand it correctly, you are right and this should be changed.

Gravatar
sunrise1

lol

Gravatar
TonyByte

You got it JMG8. Sorry, I thought you worked there.

Sunrise1, I already emailed them before posting here. An MIK team member replied above. He said to let him know if that helps. I am in the proper place. That was 10 days ago. I'm glad you are done. I'd like a reply from their team, not you. We have both said enough. I have been clear.

Gravatar
sunrise1

lol

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com