Gravatar
dave.arnatt

Hi...new to Captain Chords. When I create a series of chords based on the underlying song and try to play everything back, Captain Chords starts playing from the wrong bar. Example (I am using Logic Pro X):

• Create an 8 bar progression for a Chorus
  • Put the playhead back to the start of the Chorus
  • Press "Play" in the DAW
  • Chorus plays correctly form the first bar BUT Captain Chords starts at the second bar, not the first

Not sure what to do...

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Hey Dave,

It’s more of just how the plugin works with looping. If you have a 3-bar progression, it’s going to loop every three bars. If you have a 4-bar progression, it’s going to loop every four bars. So if you create a loop point in your DAW and then start changing how long your progression is, that loop point is going to loop around a different chunk of that progression.

You can also try to add "Rest" to the progression to help you with that. 

Let me know how it goes :)

Gravatar
dave.arnatt

Thanks James;

I understand this now (I think) so that if the progression is 8 bars long, the playhead needs to be on bar 8, 16, 24, etc for Captain Chords to start playing at the beginning of the progression.

That means that if I am creating an 8 bar Chorus and want to hear Captn Chords playing with the rest of the instruments (isn't that the whole point?) I need to make sure my Choruses start on bar 8, 16, 24, etc. Thinking through the math and how songs are structured, this does not seem very realistic.

I would like to know how people are using Captn Chords to create a song. I get how to use it from the very beginning and you just build sections at a time (Verse, Chorus, etc). But it seems very odd that you can't use it once the song structure is set. What am I missing?

Gravatar
Lori

I am having the same issue. I do not have this problem with Superior Drummer, Ez Keys, Kontakt or any other VST plug in instruments. This is extremely frustrating.

Gravatar
Lori

James,

I cannot even get Captain Chords to line up with the first bar that I am working from. So if I am at bar 57 in Logic, CC starts at bar 1 beat 2. It never lines up correctly and plays back all over the place. I do not have this issue with Superior Drummer or EZ Keys. I am so frustrated with this aspect of the software, that I will not use it right now. It is too difficult to use with music already written. I get that this is not an expensive program, however, it has such potential. This software needs some work.

Gravatar
r4span

Just bought this, and I immediately ran into this issue. It's incredibly frustrating and weird. Just start playback from the beginning of the section each time, or put a checkbox so I can choose that expected behavior.

Having the Prechorus place its playhead on its second bar, when i start playback on bar 20, just because it's a 3-bar prechorus is super arbitrary. And adding the rest causes the start point to jump, so you have to guess what to add just so that you can get it to start somewhere you expect. Nobody wants to design their songs like that. Has anyone from mixed in key actually used this software to create a song? How did this get past... anybody? At the very least this should be documented on the how to use page. This behavior is so surprising and tough to troubleshoot that I expect it will stop people from using the software altogether. It just looks like it's broken.

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com