The Mixed In Key forums have been discontinued. This post is here for informational purposes.

Looking for support for your product? Email us: contact@mixedinkey.com

Camelot Notation..Why???

Gravatar
djmusic5
Friday, February 15, 2008 12:13 AM
I may be a little confused, but why doe Mixed in Key use the Camelot Notation, i.e. 1A 2B, etc?? Why not tag the tracks with the actual key? i.e. A min C maj, etc.. One has to memorize what each notation means. Just seems a bit odd to me.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Friday, February 15, 2008 1:05 PM
Hi djmusic5, Why not tag the tracks with the actual key? Mixed In Key can write standard music notation. Go into your view options, and choose either flat keys or sharp keys. Then you will have your keys written as Gbm, or F#M. why does Mixed in Key use the Camelot Notation, i.e. 1A 2B, etc?? We feel that for most DJs the Camelot system is easier to learn. Not all DJs have a strong music theory background, so it is easier to say that 8A mixes with 8B than to say that Am mixes with CM. Some DJs (yourself included) may want to use standard music notation, which is why we incorporated the feature mentioned above.
Gravatar
dj silver
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:54 AM
Well said Chad! :o) If I had to use Am and Cm etc there is no way I could use Harmonic mixing, far too difficult to remember. The Camelot wheel I can understand easily ............. All Hail Camelot!
Gravatar
djmusic5
Friday, February 15, 2008 11:14 AM
ThnX Chad. Some how I missed that option. Cheers!
Gravatar
Dj Eder Delatore
Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:43 PM
Hi there! I recently bought the newest version of Mixed In Keys 3.0.1 and I'm very glad with it, but I still can't understand the "camelot" and i'd like to know if there is any method I can use to understand it better. Without the proper knowledgement I believe I'll not be able to use MIK correctly. I Need A Help!
Gravatar
Camelot Sound
Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:15 PM
Every song has a keycode. From any keycode, find another keycode within one number. (Example: From a song with keycode 6A, find another song with keycode between 5A and 7A for perfect harmony.)
Gravatar
Yakov (Mixed In Key)
Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:31 PM
Hi, Here are my recommendations: 1) Please check out the "How To" tutorial for an in-depth look into harmonic mixing. 2) Check out the topic called "Overview of harmonic mixing methods" to see the most commonly-used combinations. Cheers, Yakov
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:32 PM
Hi Dj Eder Delatore, Please read the tutorial that is included with the software. The basics of harmonic mixing with the Camelot system are explained there. For more advanced information on how tempo effects the key of tracks, you can read this topic. If you would like personal assistance, you can contact me through email at chad@mixedinkey.com. Cheers, Chad
Gravatar
Dj Eder Delatore
Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:27 PM
camelot sound, Yakov and Chad P, Thank you guys for the Help! But I think now understand better the principle of it ... At least the basic! Any doubts about mode advanced, sending e-mail to you Chad, ok?! Cheers
Gravatar
Transender
Monday, February 18, 2008 9:44 AM
I have a very strong music background and still use the camelot method for labeling my tracks. I use Serato and it is just more convenient to go down my list in order (i.e. 1A, 1B, 2A, 1B, etc.). If your in hurry and want to change key you just move up or down the list a little bit to find your next track.
Gravatar
DJ Mixter-T
Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:40 AM
That sounds like a convenient system. But now with smart crates, you could just as conveniently make smart crates for each key!-) Then you just think: I want to change the mood...I want to play a certain track... What musical progressions will get me there...? This will give people with knowledge of music more options. If you wanna be safer though, (and you are confident about the Camelot System), you can just follow the numbers for more or less the same effect. You can be sure that each mix will not come off too harsh because every transition is either a fifth, a fourth, or a relative minor/major...

Follow us on Facebook: