Gravatar
DJSE
(sorry for my english) I just buy a VIP code for MIK 4, to install it on a PC, and I send the code, it work normally, but when my internet cable is not connected, MIK4 doesn't want to analyse file, it say "MIK requires an internet connection". Before buy a VIP code, I use the version 2.5 (a version find on *****, illegal i supose), and there is no problem, it work without internet. I would have liked to use my legal version... So I want to know if is it possible to use MIK4 without internet cable, because I use it on a PC dedicated to music, and isolated of internet (less danger with virus), and i don't want to cable it just for analyse keys.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
An Internet connection is needed to analyze new files because Mixed In Key uses very expensive technology that is not available in "offline" mode. The program would cost a lot more if we included the same algorithm in every copy. Instead, we created an online solution that works 24/7 and analyzes new files all the time. Both of my computers that I use for production are online all of the time. As long as you aren't doing anything you're not supposed to be doing (like downloading pirated copies of our software) you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
DJSE
Ok, but why it work without internet connexion with a illegal copy, and now, when I have a legal copy, i can't use it with no connexion ? The file size was approximatly the same betwen the legal and the illegal version. I download an illegal version to test the program, and i like it so i buy it, but if it is more performant with a illegal copy, next time i will not be honnest and i will stay with my illegal copy...
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
The older version doesn't use an internet connection, it has nothing to do with the legality of it. The older version used licensed technology for its key detection while the newer versions uses our own patent pending process. This newer version gives better results and makes it easy for us to issue behind the scenes updates to the key detection system. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
DJSE
And is it possible to buy this new version to use it without internet connexion ?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Mixed In Key uses very expensive technology that is not available in "offline" mode. The program would cost a lot more if we included the same algorithm in every copy. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
wasgonnabuy
I was just about to purchase a copy of Mixed in Key, however this post has convinced me otherwise. My dj laptop does not go on the internet, and in fact doesn't have it's nics turned on, or any networking related services started. If it uses your 'own patent pending process', then it is your own to do with as you wish. It is *not* a 'very expensive technology that is not available in "offline" mode.' This was your design decision to deter pirates I'm guessing. The only thing it will actually deter, is legitimate users like myself. I like your software. It does what it claims to do fairly well. I will be delighted to give you my hard earned money, as soon as you have a stand alone version of Mixed in Key available. regards. m
Gravatar
dopeonthetable
I have the same doubts now myself. I was just going to buy a key and realise that if i want to use this program i have to upload my complete collection to there server if i want to tag them all. Its over 1 terra and i want to use it as well with my samples and loops for music making. Here in belgium we are very restricted with an upload limit on my internet account. Standard 4gb or you need to upgrade for a 16 gb upload for 65 euro a month. More means 1gb = 10 euro extra 1 cd is about 130 mb at 320 bitrate make the calculation. Is there a possibility for a down grade to version 2.5
Gravatar
MAM
There is one way to downgrade to version 2.5 - it was mentioned by topic starter. Application is not operable while offline which makes it useless for users with bad/no internet connection. All potential users who want to register should know it. I doubt that technology was changed since version 2.5, its just the developer don't want his software to be cracked and widely used. On the other hand, software is way too expensive for online application and upgrades are not free. I would be happy to purchase it for half of that price with lifetime upgrades. Seems fair to me.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
I doubt that technology was changed since version 2.5, its just the developer don't want his software to be cracked and widely used. Actually when we released version 3.0 we integrated our own patent pending key detection system that requires an internet connection. There is no other program that you can download anywhere that uses this technology, so you get what you pay for. Sincerely, Chad P
Gravatar
MAM
Could you please provide patent numbers? I can offer owners of licensed MIK4 download cracked version 2.5, analyze 100 random tracks with both of them and compare the results. It will be a good proof that technology has changed since version 2.5, dont you think?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
I'll have to check on the patent number, that isn't really within my area of responsibility with the company so I don't have the information at hand. For now you can read more about the history of our company here. The idea that we created an elaborate scheme of false information to cover up adding an online requirement as piracy protection is simply ludicrous, as any of our loyal customers who have been with us from the start will tell you. Sincerely, Chad P
Gravatar
Ashley M
version 3.0 & 4.0 both use a different algorithm from version 2.5. The reason I do know this is because of certain tracks giving different results with either version. example : Phillipe B - Ibiza Mi Amor version 2.5 results = 8B (C major) version 3.0 / 4.0 = 5A (C minor)
Gravatar
MAM
Which one is correct according to your hearing? *Funny how Mr. Chad P replaced with **** the name of popular sharing software to prevent people downloading and using fully working version 2.5 for free. You guys did a pretty good job protecting software. Communication with server helped you to stop piracy. But now you enjoy kind of 'monopoly', thats why price is so high and conditions are not client-oriented. Hopefully, soon we will have great fair-priced alternative.
Gravatar
Ashley M
Both mixed in key versions work well if you prefer to use 2.5 then you can quite happily, however i think version 4 gives more crisper sounding mixes the majority of the time. & lets not forget that Piracy is wrong you won't get any support from developers bug fixes or the like & you just run that risk of running into trouble when things crash or just don't work right. Can you really blame MIK staff for rubbing a link to a dodgy site to get a dodgy version of there software? I know devs / programmers themselves that work for companies upload there work on the sly like VST instuments to such sites because they want there work to be appreciated & all that but its not the point, especially not with all software. Don't forget someone put time into the making of the software just like you pay someone for putting effort into fixing your broken sink or decorating your house etc. Just buy the software if it helps you I don't think MIK is that expensive & especially how it helps DJs. Compared to other software in all areas, just look at Microsoft Office compared to Open office, I prefer open office & its freeware, Microsoft Office is extortionately overpriced. MIK is nowhere near that cost or nowhere near VSTI instruments costs like Native Instruments for that matter. I Think there should be a standalone version of MIK 4 but for a higher cost. Of course people like yourself can use it then but I was thinking more for DJs that play in different countries, they can then buy music abroad key it on a laptop & play it that night.
Gravatar
MAM
Lets not talk about piracy here. Everyone has his own opinion about buying the software. I pay for software when I see that author did a great job and asking reasonable price for his work. I think Djs should pay for MIK because they earn money from it. I am not a Dj, therefore 58USD in my opinion is too much. I think it would be great to create different versions: for private and professional use. Djs can pay 58USD or more. Home users can have free license (amount of analyzed tracks can be limited in free version, for example, 500 tracks per month). Make it flexible and you will get more customers.
Gravatar
UserXY
MAM made a very good point: The ROI (return on investment) of MixedinKey. For Pro users the software is already paid after a month when taking into account how much (valuable) time can be saved. I'm not a Pro DJ but see this effect because MIK helps me to concentrate on creative or more funny tasks in my rare leasure time. I'm pretty sure that MIK's business team is aware of that, too. Otherwise I would have no idea why they seem to loose focus on other aspects... ;-)
Gravatar
MAM
MIK has great development potential. Software should be localized (german, french, spanish and even russian, chinese), have flexible pricing policy. It can be crazy profitable and popular.
Gravatar
EvilKeg
I'm pretty pxssed at this too to be honest!! I DJ out with my laptop and occasionally would like the option to scan songs that have not yet been processed without going online... not everywhere has internet, and I can't just unplug my usb devices to plug in my 3g card... I've JUST bought my copy and I was un-aware that this required a net connection... I've paid almost 60US$ for your application, when I want, not when I'm connected... Very poor MIK, very poor... this stinks of piracy protection... I understand you've got to protect your product, but not everyone has a net connection all the time...
Gravatar
Dj Gremix
I was reading all posted files and this is very interesting BUT USELESS if the new version have to BE ONLINE to works. Also i have my studio "stand alone" without any internet access to avoid music theft before release. How possible is the technology WENT BACK and force users to have internet working where the MIK is installed? I think this is a very NEGATIVE ISSUE. Why your company don't sell any USB DEVICE to unlock that "stuP** technology? I was reading because i HAD in mind to purchase the product but i'm stucked right now evaluating another possibilities. Good luck with your new technology!!
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Thanks for posting! The internet connection is not for piracy protection. Our key detection system needs to be online so that we can issue regular updates to it without releasing updates that need to be downloaded. This system has worked well for us for several years now. Best, Chad P
Gravatar
mike shadow
to be honest i purchased 4.0 and im not happy.i use a pc for serato and with the tweaks internet access is disabled all the time. so i reverted it back to go on line for the first time since i owned this laptop ( 2007 dell e1705 ).and started to use mixed in key 4.0 to read my keys from a external hard drive.i have over 500 gigs of music. ( all genres ).when doing this over night for 3 nights in a row.i had all sorts of problems. it crashed and when it did. it did not save the data.which was data from a 24 hr period. to be honest i have had more problems then not. i hope others have a better experience. and on top of this the program lost internet access and stopped the process.when this happened it did not start up at all when the internet access came back on.so i had to restart it. i do understand why you need internet access.but it has made this program a bad choice of purchase because of this.i would like to import songs and analyze them on the spot ( anywhere ) without internet.why not have internet be a option in the setup screen.or every 15 days or so make the costumer go online to verify its a legit copy.or get what ever codes/mp3 info you need? not everytime.im not trying to knock this program i purchased it for a reason.im just trying to give a few ideas and suggestions for the company. thanks mike
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Thanks mike, and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems. Your idea is one that I've been thinking a lot about, we'll be discussing it in more depth once PN 3.0 is out. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
dopeonthetable - just saw your post. Your entire songs are not uploaded - just the key info. It's really only a few kbs per song so it shouldn't hamper your upload limit too much. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
DJ PVH IV
It all boils down to... we should have been told. So that we could at least have at least made some mental preperations for setting up our gear. I've already spend a lot of money planning on a certain type of setup without internet. And I've been to your site and read through stuff, I don't know how many times. I just accidentially stumbled on this. Also, what are you supposted to do if someone gives you a CD and you put it into your computer to play durring a live show? Are you just supposted to jump in blind and hope it mixes harmonically? That seems like an important missing factor for me.
Gravatar
Fintbeast
Having looked at all of the above, I'm not bothered at all by the online necessity of the software...although I can see why some people have got a bit upset. At the end of the day, people should pay for what is a very useful tool...and if people want to sound like pro-DJs when they're not getting paid for it, that's up to them. However, I do have an important question... When I've had previous versions of MIK and upgraded to the latest version, as you say, the algorithms have become more accurate and so some of the previous key choices have changed. In the past, when I've had a new version, I've had to steel myself for the ball-aching but necessary job of re-processing my entire collection. Probably about 10% of the tunes have 'changed' key and I have to reburn cds and/or move files into new folders. Here comes the question: If you are constantly making little tweaks to and updating the algorithms in your server-based version of MIK, how will I know which tunes to re-analyze and when? Am I not going to end up with tunes that aren't actually in key, sitting in the same folder?
Gravatar
DJ COOPA
Chad, I've just purchase MIK4.. ) Running Windows Vista ) Itunes v9 ) ADSL 2 Connection Ive changed the settings so I should be able to see the Key (Camelot) in the song name, but it still doesn't work. Ive disabled anti-virus software on it. My internet connection is always evident so that cant be the problem. Can you please email me and tell me what else I can do!
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi DJ COOPA, I just sent you an email. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Fintbeast
Any thoughts on my previous post, Chad?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Ah yes, sorry about that. The updates are always made to work with prior iterations of the algorithm. If there is a variance of more than 5% for existing results we consider that outside of our control limits and scale back the changes until results remain within those limits. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Panotaker
I think I have a solution. Why don't you include a copy of version 2.5 with every purchase. That way those DJ's that are on a gig with no internet connection can scan new CD's at the gig and get a key that is pretty close and then when they get home, they can rescan it with version 4 and get the right key. Sounds like an easy feature to add.
Gravatar
Fintbeast
So each improvement of the algorithm will only result in a maximum of 5% of my tunes possible being in the wrong key? As each update is only based on the previous 'iteration', am I right in thinking that that percentage of my entire collection would actually grow over time? Is it not possible for you to give us an update message, suggesting that we might want to re-analyse tunes in a particular key? This isn't a complaint or anything - I'd just like my tunes to be keyed in to the same standard...
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Is it not possible for you to give us an update message, suggesting that we might want to re-analyse tunes in a particular key? That's not a bad idea, I'll run it by Yakov when we do our next update. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
kareemjunior
Chad do u have an idea of when MIK will be able to process AAC files form Itunes?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Sorry, I really couldn't say at this time.
Gravatar
angelowish
Funny topic... now i know. This is the only reason i won't buy this software. I just can't understand why you make a software to work partially online... that is BS, what if i'm on a train, plane, bus? what if i just don't have internet access at the moment. There are tons of much more complex algorithms in released software that don't require a net connection. I really was one step before actually buying MIK but hey guess i'd better use 2.5 illegal even if it is not that accurate or wait until you guys realize this terrible mistake. Hope to see a netless MIK on following versions, count my purchase on if that happens.
Gravatar
svenni
I've tried 2.5, and the freeware app Rapid Evolution. 2.5 is allright, allthough sometimes it gets it really wrong. Rapid Evolution gets it right about as often as 2.5. It does have more options, but the interface is so convoluted and cluttered and getting features to work can be such a hassle, so I gave up on that too. To be completely truthful, I'm not sure if I would have bought MIK4 if i could have "tried out" a pirated version first. As far as such things go, sometimes I do buy software I've "tried out", but often I forget or take a faux-moral stand that the software is just too expensive. But when faced with paying 60 bucks or not getting an upgrade, I was glad to pay the money. Therefore I can't say I blame the MIK guys for using the internet as a dongle. I much prefer the hassle of getting online everytime I use the app to having to use an USB dongle (that in our line of business are likely to get lost, and with it the license). Because I know that I can't always get online at gigs, I've changed my workflow. Now I analyze every song I'm gonna use, when I get it. Because of that, I never have a problem with not being online.
Gravatar
B.
Users cry "copy-protection!" while Chad dismisses this idea with the explanation that newer versions use an algorithm that is too expensive to distribute, and which enable updates without user action. Nothing more can be said, really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_In_Key#Controversy
Gravatar
sigmadict
I was going to buy it, changed my decision, I dont have internet on the spot everywhere i mix and always receiving new songs on the spots. Waiting for stand alone or something else.
Gravatar
popnwave
Sigh, I decided to grab a copy of Mixed In Key as well only to find I had to keep it on the net even when doing huge batches of music. Oh well the excitement got the best of me so of course shame on me since the it is clearly listed on the purchase page as a requirement. I had hoped to get some of my back cataloged while at work, but I will have to wait to get home to return to my tether.
Gravatar
DJ Mixter-T
An offline option would be great. As a DJ I travel a lot, and get new songs frequently, so being on-line is not always convenient or possible. The on-line requirement puts extra strain on my time, because I have to do a lot of things when I am on-line, and now this is one more. I should say though, that I am quite excited about being able to see the key signature for my tracks when I am mixing. It should save me some time when I am queing up, so I'll have smoother and quicker transitions...
Gravatar
Mobson
I cannot find myself in all the comments in this topic (there are some exceptions). Why is it so much of a hassle to get online to get your tracks analyzed? If your buying tracks online, you have a internet connection available, so why not analyze them immediately? There are ofcourse exceptions like buying the CD's in the music store, but I don't think many do nowadays. If you do buy CD's in music stores, then yes, the online method is too much of a hassle. In my case (I get my tracks online) I just analyzed all my tracks in the beginning, took a long time, but from that point I only had to analyze new tracks added to my collection. I'm having no problems whatsoever, but then again, I didn't download the illegal version to try it out, so I never got used to the idea that it could also be done offline.
Gravatar
Digital_Damage
Well this is very disappointing; this software was suggested to me by a buddy. Bought it, downloaded it, saved it to usb drive took it over to my dedicated gig PC only to find out I have to be connected to the internet to use it. My gig PC will NEVER touch the internet it is to valuable to me to worry about it getting hacked, virus, malware, etc... Shame on me for not doing more research, but shame on you for implementing such a poorly designed system! What happens if you go out of business are all of your customer SOL?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
What happens if you go out of business are all of your customer SOL? In the unfortunate event of us closing up shop an offline version would be created. In the event of a buyout we would ensure that existing license holders would still be able to use the software that they paid for. My gig PC will NEVER touch the internet it is to valuable to me to worry about it getting hacked, virus, malware, etc. If you practice safe browsing habits like only visiting trusted sites, not opening emails from people you don't know, and using a good antivirus software you'll be fine. I've had my production computers online for years now and never had a problem.
Gravatar
DJ Niro
Why don't make it a portable software?
Gravatar
Bartboy
Well if it's new Patent Pending Tech then maybe you want to tell ZPlane Technologies to remove you from there website. From the looks of it you simply license there tech, package it up all pretty and require an internet connection. http://www.zplane.de/index.php?page=description-tonart Honestly for the majority of us it wouldn't be so bad but when you then slap us all in the face by requiring us to buy two different copies of the same software if we want to use it on Mac and/or PC I mean come on. I purchased a Dora the Explorer Backpack Adventure for my 3 year old that I installed on my Mac at home and my PC laptop on the go. It cost me 5$. I know your just gonna come back with some BS about licensing fees and this and that but what it seems like from the consumer point of view is that you got pissed at so many people pirating your software you made it so difficult for the people who really want to give you money to use it. I would suggest to anyone looking to spend this kind of money on a KEY detection program to go out and buy MIX! it's brand new super simplistic DJ program that has a built in KEY detection. I haven't had a chance to test it against my ears/RE3 or even MIK but anything has got to be better than this.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi Bartboy, We've very recently changed our policy, we do allow crossgrades now without the purchase of a second license. We still use some of Zplane's technology, but our key detection process has been fully patented in the US. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Bartboy
Well it's a step. It's nice to see that. I have had a few friends who have recently been told otherwise. I will point them here to see if they can resolve that issue. With that in mind I can safely say I will be considering picking up a copy in the near future.
Gravatar
dj M-EL
this is horrible.. im always on the move and dont always have internet. i cant bum internet off everywhere im at. or i might have internet for a bit to check out my emails and all. i just dont have time to sit there and wait till it analyzes the tracks. wish i can get a refund
Gravatar
Meteoroz
I'm sorry Chad, but I have to agree with everyone here - you should NOT require an internet connection to analyse songs. I mean, this software is primarily for DJ's, right? And how many clubs have an internet connection at the DJ booth?? So if a guy wants to do ANY analysis on-site, he's completely screwed. And what's worse, he probably won't realise until it's too late, because you don't mention ANYWHERE that an internet connection is required to run the software! It makes me think that you're not telling us something. You say that the requirement for an internet connection has nothing to do with preventing piracy, therefore it's something to do with sending the song Key back to a server - why? Are you skipping analysis for some songs by looking them up in a database? Why would you need to send the song Key back to the server? I'm a developer myself and it seems very strange to me. I left the computer running the other day so that MIK could analyse my 15Gb of songs. I turned off the screen, speakers and internet connection to save power (and environment), then when I came back 5 hours later, I see that about 400 songs have an error message 'No Internet connection'. MIK didn't stop or pause, it just ploughed on regardless, and there was no way of telling it to go back and analyse the failed tracks. I was dumbfounded. I really hope you change your policy on this issue.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
And what's worse, he probably won't realise until it's too late, because you don't mention ANYWHERE that an internet connection is required to run the software! It's listed in the requirements on the Buy Now page.
Gravatar
Meteoroz
Ok. Sorry, my bad.
Gravatar
Saidi
I prefer reading Chad's posts related to harmonic mixing, and sincerely, i begin to forget about buying this software.. Just because i like to do whatever i want to do with the things i buy, that's it. I'm against : "I pay, I buy and you decide how and when to use it " .. :-)
Gravatar
RobertX
Gravatar
ImNoTTelling
What would be nice is to have the MIK be connected to the internet say every 30 day for verification. We have software that uses a heartbeat and requires to check into the license server every 30 days and if it doesn't it goes into demo mode. While I'm not to sure how MIK works in that it is using the internet to connect to a database to see if the song has been analyze or is the analyze been done locally. Maybe this can be thought about when MIK 5 comes out :)
Gravatar
tgh
I am on the verge of buying, 58 is a little steep for me too. Beatport will soon be offering downloaded songs with the key in the ID tag, so I imagine (and hope) MIK lowers its pricing, 30 I think is reasonable.
Gravatar
Sky Makai
on 6/26/09 Chad P said, "The idea that we created an elaborate scheme of false information to cover up adding an online requirement as piracy protection is simply ludicrous..." Although this post was over 2 years ago, I'm surprised to see a MIK employee making statements like this. I would suggest to any MIK Management Officer, that all of the MIK Customer Service Officers be extremely polite. I, too am troubled by the decision to take the process 'online', as I'm working on sets when I don't have an internet connection, sometimes. I'd appreciate more clarification on the statements made by MIK, that the online requirement is necessary... because the application would be too pricey to include the algorithm in the package; @$60, this is a fairly pricey application, with only one key feature. Surely there could be some option for users to buy a full version w/o the need for the application to merely be a client? I sincerely appreciate the usefulness of the application, however, if I had known that it is merely a client... I would have not paid for it. Thanks for your consideration.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
I'm sorry if you found my post offensive, I'll try to do better in the future. Sincerely, Chad P
Gravatar
Meteoroz
*Ouch*
Gravatar
M.E.L
What a load of BS. I was going to buy MIK until I found out about this online only garbage. I'll just get 2.5 off a torrent instead.
Gravatar
Cygnal
Chad, where do I go to download the Mac version then? I bought a "PC License" and want to use this on my new Macbook. There is no login page on the main site and i'm simply directed to these forums... What would I do if my computer crashed and I lost my VIP code???
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Download and license requests should be sent to contact@mixedinkey.com. For the quickest response please log into your PayPal or Google Checkout account and look up your History tab. We may need help to locate your transaction details, so a copy/paste (not a screenshot please) from the History tab will help. Also, please include the email address and name that the software was originally purchased with. We will send you the download link and VIP code as soon as we have more information. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Daxx

On Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:40 AM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

An Internet connection is needed to analyze new files because Mixed In Key uses very expensive technology that is not available in "offline" mode. The program would cost a lot more if we included the same algorithm in every copy. Instead, we created an online solution that works 24/7 and analyzes new files all the time. Both of my computers that I use for production are online all of the time. As long as you aren't doing anything you're not supposed to be doing (like downloading pirated copies of our software) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Cheers,
Chad P

Are you saying that your software sends the song to be analyzed by a remote server, which is why it requires internet? It's simple to see that the machine that you're working on is doing the analysis, and activity monitor on OS X shows maybe a few bytes of info being send when I begin analyzing.

This is clearly a way to combat piracy which i'd understand because mixed in key is one of the most pirated pieces of software i've seen. But it is still a critical design flaw for an industry that relies so much on travel.

Just this weekend I was on a plan heading accross the country to a gig. A friend of mine gave me some new music to listen to, and check out. I really enjoyed it and when I was on the 5 hour plane flight, which by the way, ended with me getting off the plane and within the hour doing a show, I couldn't analyze his stuff.

It was so infuriating knowing i payed for a piece of software, that doesn't analyze tracks offline.

Here's a solution, if your new analysis algorithm only works because over the internet, then include the old one that doesn't require a connection for OFFLINE mode only. That way, when the user gets a connection again it will update with the latest info, if indeed it didn't analyze it properly.

Don't tell me because both your computers are online all the time doesn't mean you can't see someone else's not being online, that's both ignorant and dumb. Second, don't tell me that as long as I am not doing anything i shouldn't be, that I don't have anything to worry about. I was doing everything SHOULD be doing and it gave me problems. I bought the software, and was using it in the field, and it didn't work because you guys are too butt hurt people found a way to steal ur old software.

With the finest regards,

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:08 PM Daxx wrote:

Are you saying that your software sends the song to be analyzed by a remote server, which is why it requires internet? It's simple to see that the machine that you're working on is doing the analysis, and activity monitor on OS X shows maybe a few bytes of info being send when I begin analyzing.

And those few bytes of data contain the harmonic information necessary to detect the key. We could make an offline version of MIK, but it would be prohibitively expensive for the end user.

Gravatar
karlp

Hi Chad, Unfortunately I have to add my vote to the disappointment of MIK not working offline. I hit this recently having converted to digital and wanting to analyse some tracks on the go.
Why would the price need to rise for offline, we've all paid good money for the product.

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

It's because of licensing. Instead of licensing the software the algorithm runs on once for our server we would have to license it for each individual copy sold. It would be several hundred dollars per copy instead of $58.

Gravatar
danthewaxman

So sad I purchased this well promoted product. There should be a money back guarantee if only works online then. If I have to be connected you should be able to refund me then. At least you know I didn't steal your software not to mention if I need to be online it shouldn't take a month of Sundays to analyze 388 files. There was something wrong with this software since I bought it. Please consider refunding me since its such a great and expensive product in your eyes that just doesn't work in my eyes like expected. P.S. I am sure you can look up my computer and see that it has been on there for like forever and the files that say NONE for a key then. I am not lying I would take my money back and be glad to give you the software back.

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

We do have a money back guarantee, refund requests should be sent to contact@mixedinkey.com.

Gravatar
penx

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:35 PM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

It's because of licensing. Instead of licensing the software the algorithm runs on once for our server we would have to license it for each individual copy sold. It would be several hundred dollars per copy instead of $58.

But you previously said:

The older version used licensed technology for its key detection while the newer versions uses our own patent pending process

So if the old version worked offline, and the new version uses your own patented process, what are the extra licensing costs that would require an internet connection?

Perhaps you could offer users the ability to 'upgrade' to an offline mode to cover these licensing costs?

I was about to purchase your software but will not with this restriction. One obvious reason - if I'm DJing somewhere with my laptop, someone gives me an MP3 they want me to play, I can't detect the pitch using your software as I don't have an internet connection because of what seems to be solely an anti-piracy policy.

Gravatar
penx

On Friday, October 29, 2010 9:25 PM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

What happens if you go out of business are all of your customer SOL?

In the unfortunate event of us closing up shop an offline version would be created.

So there is nothing technically getting in the way of an offline version other than company policy? This is clearly for anti piracy then, a shame you deny it.

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

The offline version would work differently than the current version we have.

Gravatar
Xde

This is hilarious really, this entire thread.

People have the balls to come onto MIK's own forum, admit pirating their product and wanting the removal of the server-side requirement - doesn't take a genius to work out why!

I applaud the online requirement, I think it's a great way to ensure the products remain funded and well-maintained. For any digital DJ, you have a workflow you run all new tracks through including setting cue points, tagging etc, and MiK is a part of this - i'm pretty such no DJ worth their salt would take a new track, or dodgy MP3 at a gig and throw it into their show without it going through their usual workflow process.

In a thread of such ambivalent nature, here is a voice of approval for the way you operate as a company. Cheers.

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

Thank you Xde, it's mighty kind of you to take time out of your day and come here to share your approval. The vast majority of MIK users are perfectly happy with the software, we just don't hear from them as often because they don't have any need to come here for tech support.

Gravatar
Meteoroz

I resent the implication that because I need to analyse songs without being connected to the internet, that I'm branded a 'pirate'. Anyone with half a brain who actually works in this industry knows that you should be able to run software which has been legitimately purchased, offline.

Xde, it seems you've never been in this situation? I suppose your bedroom always has an internet connection. Well, you won't have any problems then.

Gravatar
Sergio D

Here it goes. I agree 100% with XDE's reply and Back up all of Chad's post.

1) Anywhere you travel these days almost every Hotel has wireless access which I myself never had any issues or when I am really on the go and need a connection urgent I tether off my cell phone. Remember always legitimate site, no torrenting, you should be fine. 98% of my playlists are always ready to go before I travel anyways.

2) At my Home studio, I process all of my purchases, files, playlists, PN, MIK, etc... on my Desktop and send everything to a Portable Hard Drive and some times USB Stick. This way my Laptop NEVER touches the internet when I am home.

3) This software does a lot for me from PN to MIK. and being connected every time is not a problem for me at all. this is some thing great here, I have come to realize this when I made the purchase last week and do not regret any of it. All is clear to me about the Licensing and makes a lot of sense. Not sure if anyone is aware, but it takes a lot of funds to a Product Patend.

Just in case, NO I am not a Bedroom DJ. I've been around the local scene for a little over 25 years..Just my thought on this Thread.

Regards
Sergio D

Gravatar
Xde

On Monday, May 27, 2013 4:04 AM Meteoroz wrote:

I resent the implication that because I need to analyse songs without being connected to the internet, that I'm branded a 'pirate'. Anyone with half a brain who actually works in this industry knows that you should be able to run software which has been legitimately purchased, offline.

Xde, it seems you've never been in this situation? I suppose your bedroom always has an internet connection. Well, you won't have any problems then.

You clearly have a problem with reading comprehension, I branded people pirates that are coming here saying they pirated 2.5 or will pirate 2.5 as some kind of threat.

Your little poke at me is very funny though - I do all my workflow process before leaving for a gig, I don't accept any music from any third party at any gig so I never run into problems of not having an internet connection at gigs.

Gravatar
Meteoroz

Ok, so it's - "I've never had a problem, so therefore no-one else on the planet could have had a problem with this requirement. I'll get online and bag them for even mentioning it."

How about sitting back and thinking "Hmm, perhaps other people have different requirements than me. I'll let them express their concerns to the company and see what the company has to say about it."

In any case, there are some of us who didn't realise when we bought the software, that we'd need to be connected to the internet for it to work. Yep, you're right, we didn't read the system requirements carefully enough, but I think it's reasonable to assume that installed software - as opposed to web-based software - should work offline. Otherwise why not just make MiK a cloud-based service, accessed via a web browser?

And having read between the lines with Chad's replies, I'm now not entirely convinced that the online requirement isn't just an anti-pirating mechanism. Of course I don't condone pirating software (being a software developer myself), so I've never even considered trying to get good stuff like this for free. I believe that when talented people have invested their time and money to come up with a brilliant product, they should be rewarded, but I struggle with the concept that this algorithm couldn't be installed locally for a reasonable price.

So how about leaving it to the owners/developers to answer our concerns without jumping in with half-baked opinions and assumptions?

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

It's good to see you guys debating this stuff, this really is supposed to be a community DISCUSSION forum, when so often it turns into a "let's ask tech support a question" forum. Not that people shouldn't be doing that, but it gets a little old and doesn't hold much value for other people visiting the forum so I'm happy to see people getting involved here, as long as it's kept civil. We like to keep our little corner of the internet a respectable place.

Since I see there is still some doubt out there I will once again answer the "Why does MIK need to go online?" question. There are two primary reasons for the online connection:

  1. It makes the software cheaper. Instead of licensing the database software that MIK runs on for each end user we only have to license it for the server. Considering this license costs several hundred dollars I don't think you want to pay for it on your computer too.

  2. It allows us to tweak the accuracy of the key detection algorithm without releasing an update to the desktop client. When MIK 5 was released MIK 4 users got the upgraded key detection without having to download anything.

Meteoroz, your main concern seems to be that you didn't know about this when you purchased the app, and it sounds like you are starting to regret your purchase. We would never think of keeping someone's money if they weren't happy with their purchase, so if you want to request a refund you are more than welcome to do so.

Cheers,
Chad P

PS: Don't try to read between the lines of what I write, there's nothing there ;)

Gravatar
Xde

I just wonder what workflow process people are using.

Mine runs as follows in a nutshell:

  • Purchase music (usually online so let's use that method) from X,Y,Z site.
  • Run through Musicbrainz to tag properly.
  • Run through MiK.
  • Run through Traktor and beatgrid, set cue points.

As three out of four of these processes require internet access, and I absolutely will not accept any music at a gig, I really don't see the problem with MiK requiring it.

Licensing server software is expensive, Chad is right, I don't think he is being disingenuous with his stance - the anti-piracy addition is simply a very nice bonus.

Gravatar
Meteoroz

Meteoroz, your main concern seems to be that you didn't know about this when you purchased the app, and it sounds like you are starting to regret your purchase. We would never think of keeping someone's money if they weren't happy with their purchase, so if you want to request a refund you are more than welcome to do so.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining it yet again :) I suppose this is one of those hybrid apps where you do need a local installation as well as a server component.

You're wrong about me regretting my purchase though. I've been more than happy with both MiK and PN, and now that I know about the requirements I don't expect to have any further issues.

Gravatar
penx

Personally, I don't usually accept music at a gig, but wouldn't want to be artificially restricted from having the option if I purchase the software. It's hard to imagine that an offline version is not possible, especially as 2.5 was working offline. I was looking to purchase MixedInKey but don't like this restriction so have since found alternative software, which is working well.

I can understand that a design decision was made at version 3.0 to use some proprietary server software, but think this could be fixed in a future version if there was enough demand (e.g. using some open/free db software instead), so don't get annoyed at those users that are only stating that they'd like this feature - there is clearly some demand for it!

Gravatar
Thomas Grant

This is where I stand on the matter. I'm rather shocked that people have the audacity to come here and accuse Chad and his team of lying about using their own (patent pending) technology as a way to cover up that they're combating piracy. Sure, who likes a liar? But what company likes a pirate?

I think what some people seem to be missing here is the perspective of the company. It seems very clear to me that the choice to require an Internet connection is based on reducing the cost of the product for the consumer. As Chad expressed, this technology is not integrated into each "license", but rather only once at their end. I feel that fact it's a deterrent for pirating is a by-product. But even if it's not, so what? They have every right to design their model that way. What's the harm to the end user? A minor inconvenience? We're not always going to get our cake and eat it too.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:34 AM Xde wrote:

On Monday, May 27, 2013 4:04 AM Meteoroz wrote:

I do all my workflow process before leaving for a gig, I don't accept any music from any third party at any gig so I never run into problems of not having an internet connection at gigs.

Gravatar
vinicio3478

I buy this mk5 but i would like to know if i cant get refund because ididnt know i need to have internet conection wich i dont like so please tell me how i gonna get my money back..

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

All of our software has a money back guarantee, please write contact@mixedinkey.com if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com