We migrated this Community to a Facebook Group to provide you a better overall experience. Click here and join now!

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hello all, I've been experimenting with the latest iTunes update, and it appears that the usual "select all, right click, Get info, OK" method of updating batches of files isn't updating tags like it did in previous versions. In the 9.2 version each file needs to be double clicked on to update. I will continue looking into this, if anyone comes up with a workaround, please post it here. You can also downgrade to iTunes 9.1 here, although you will have to delete 9.2 before installing it. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Yoricko
A temporary solution is to randomly fill up one of the fields in the Sorting panel (Composer/Album/Whatever you name it) and then press Ok. All the selected files should refresh and all you have to do is clear up whatever you've filled up in the sorting panel. It will take quite a while, but works better than double clicking one by one.
Gravatar
rob909e
Hello Chad, I'm not sure where the post is about "stripping the ID3 tag with itunes" is located, however, since were talking about itunes...... The method described to strip the ID3 tag (right click, convert ID3, None, ...wait.... right click, convert ID3, v2.3 ....... no longer works. any thoughts on this, besides another 3rd party app?
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Yoricko - great work, this appears to be a suitable work-around. rob909e - Care to elaborate? What are you trying to accomplish by converting the ID3 tags, and what is telling you that it no longer works like it used to?
Gravatar
rob909e
Hello. Okay. Unfortunately,There isn't a way to search this forum for the method used to clean up an mp3 file. Otherwise, I'd just copy and past the link here so you knew what I was was referring to. I'll assume you know what post I'm talking about. There was a detailed post on this forum, with pictures and instruction, on the exact steps to strip the ID3 tag. I've always gone through a rigorous routine with my mp3 file, however, after being told about the post on here, I'm pretty sure Chad directed me to the link, I switched up my processes. Before: After adding songs to itunes I could select the songs I want, in itunes. Next. Right Click. Select the option for "convert ID3 tag" select None. click ok. Next. I tunes would do it's thing on the selected tracks with a progress bar as a visual. When it was finished I would then repeat the repeat the process, however this time, I would change none to ver. 2.3. Once Itunes finished running through that process, all the fields inside the ID3 tag would be deleted of unwanted garbage. The only bad thing is loosing the cover art, but if you save it to a folder first..... you can add it back to it after this process. Now after the new ver. of Itunes: The only difference this time from above is, 1. nothing happens when you convert from ver?? to ver NONE. Nothing happens and there is no progress bar. When trying to convert to 2.3 Nothing happens again. The only reason I know that there is no coverting going on is because if I load the same batch of songs into Jaicoz (shareware Mac) It show EVERY piece of info stored on an ID3 tag. Before New Itunes: I would strip the ID3 tag as described above. close itunes. open Jaicoz. load the same batch of songs from itunes into jaicoz. look through ALLL 70 different fields within each mp3's ID3 tag. Each mp3's ID3 tag has relevant info. Clean. The itunes Procedure above worked! Now with newer itunes: Go through the same exact process and find that almost all the songs have unwanted garbage located in random parts throughout the 70 different fields of info on each id3 tag. \itunes procedure did not work. Hopefully that cleared it up. Any thoughts?
Gravatar
DJ R2
Here is your link (I happened to bookmark it): http://community.mixedinkey.com/Topic.aspx?ID=5553 I am having the same problem. MIK overwrites my genre with a numerical code, and that's hugely annoying. Please help with a fix.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi rob909e, Honestly, I would just go back to iTunes 9.1 if I were you. I have to use the latest version for testing purposes, but I haven't seen a single iTunes update in the past three years that has added anything to the program that I would use. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi DJ R2, This is a known bug in iTunes, and we are working on a fix. In the mean time, I can suggest the following work around: Once you've finished analyzing your tracks, sort them in iTunes by the genre field. Select all of the tracks that have a particular number, right click on the selection, and choose Get info. Click only the box next to genre in the window that opens, and then write in the appropriate genre in text format. A list of genres with their corresponding number can be found here. All of the files you selected will now have the correct genre displaying. Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We are working on a fix, and ask for you to please remain patient. All the best, Chad Pranke Mixed In Key
Gravatar
keithos27
Yoricko, Your solution of filling a random field is not working for me... I use Serato Scatch Live to analyze my MP3s for their BPM. Then I go into iTunes and play each file and the BPM info shows up. I then went ahead and converted the MP3's ID3 tags to v2.4 and then analyzed the files in MIK. I then went back into iTunes (9.2) and filled a random field and the Key information is not showing up in the Comments tag like it always did before. Can someone please advise on another fix/work-around? Thank you, Keith
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi Keith, Due to a problem with the way iTunes reads comments tags and the latest MIK update, you may need to clear the comments field before analyzing the tracks with MIK. Select the files, delete the comments in the get info pane, and they should be good to go. Will you please let me know how this works for you? Best, Chad P
Gravatar
Cody Lee Williams
I'm having the same problem after analysing a batch of 107 tracks. I deleted the comments and deleted the key tags that were in the titles so MIK could run them again. Finally got the keys in the comments section after telling itunes to "get info" *whew thanks guys. i hope this becomes easier
Gravatar
Derek
I had many problems with this at one point. The point is iTunes caches information and needs to "touch" the file again. Turns out, you can just do "ADD FILES TO LIBRARY" from your existing iTunes folder and it will re-touch everything in there without the need to add a field value.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi Derek, Seems to be a good way of updating tags. I was afraid that it might reset the date added field, but it appears not to. I'll add this as an alternative way of updating tags in my iTunes thread. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Nomad
Yoricko's solution worked for me :) Just to clarify (as I wasn't quite sure)... you select all your tracks (or just the tracks that arent updating) then right click select "get info". Change the "composer" field (or something else you dont mind losing). Click ok. Wait for it to update, and then all you tracks should now have the correct comments. After that you just need to select them again and delete what you created.
Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com