We migrated this Community to a Facebook Group to provide you a better overall experience. Click here and join now!

Gravatar
recordkick
I'm a DJ that is also a programmer which by my own informal survey is probably a large population of this community. I've written scripts across multiple API's that pull tracks from all over the internet every single day (mmm, soundcloud). I get them by genre, BPM, and sometimes Key. Still though in order to deal with this many tracks, I need to wash them through Platinum sound and MixedinKey, the two greatest applications that ever existed if you want to be able to play a wide variety of tracks very quickly without having to worry if they will mix together well or have their levels set equally. A huge pain point for me is that my scripting track importer stops being automated when it's time to use Platinum Notes and Mixed in Key. Any plans to open these up to programmatically pushing tracks through? I'm on a mac and tried using automator but it's still a painful process, if you can write code you never ever want to have to deal with Automator, but maybe you guys have a better way to do this? Cheers, Tim Case
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Not yet Tim, but I'll be sure to add this to our feature requests. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Matt Hite
+1 on this. Is there a way to pass a list of songs from the command-line to MiK for analysis? My current flow is: - Convert tag to id3v2.4 - Remove v1 tag - Use MiK to determine key, write to TKEY tag - Convert resulting TKEY to "Camelot" key and write into TIT1 tag - Optionally convert flat to sharp notation in TKEY tag Most of this I've done in Python. Obviously I have no way to hook into MiK so I'm screwed there. Would like to actually just have a process monitoring a folder and do all this for me without all the babysitting. IE. Watch a Dropbox folder and run contents through aforementioned flow with last step adding to iTunes and removing file from monitored folder.
Gravatar
DBayley

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gravatar
stevebaker01

+1000000

I have some opinions on this even though I'm brand new to MIK and electronic music production in general.

1. First and foremost digital music production in general is lacking any significant API. There are no major DAWs that have any kind of real, mature, and comprehensive programming interface. In 2015 this fact is inexcusable! I have no idea why this doesn't seem to exist anywhere. It's completely baffling! The closest thing is the API for Reaper which is neither mature, nor comprehensive.
  2. Having said that the MIK ecosystem would be an amazing thing to have an API wrapping up! :D I think one of the primary reasons for 1, above, comes down to the evolution of modern music production in, general. Starting from analog systems to rack-mount componentry, and dedicated DSPs. These are now all antiquated techniques to one degree or another but existing tool sets are all descended from that lineage and nearly everything about them seems awkwardly mired to the past. The MIK tools set has the opportunity to rethink nearly all of this mindset and a slicik comprehensive API may be the biggest potential win in this direction for the MIK ecosystem and its users. Basically this alone would be a game changer and doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement against a young set of tools like MIK.
  3. I vote Python. I'm biased though. Really any modern and mature scripting convention would be welcome. Other notable contenders would be Ruby or JavaScript. Since this would already be disruptive for electronic music production in general you may as well develop several identical APIs for multiple languages. But you should start with Python. ;) Python is concise easy to learn, read, write, and is an extremely mature OOP scripting convention. It has a huge and well maintained repository of third party packages which includes a wide range of existing modules for music production.

Just my 2 cents on this, -Steve

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Friday, August 28, 2015 5:26 PM stevebaker01 wrote:

+1000000

I have some opinions on this even though I'm brand new to MIK and electronic music production in general.

1. First and foremost digital music production in general is lacking any significant API. There are no major DAWs that have any kind of real, mature, and comprehensive programming interface. In 2015 this fact is inexcusable! I have no idea why this doesn't seem to exist anywhere. It's completely baffling!

Just as baffling as your post is to 99.9% of our customers who are wondering what the heck an API is :)

Gravatar
DigitalFist

I notice people have been asking the same question for years. :(

All we really need is to be able to call it from the command line. I managed to get a very crude Automator script to download my Beatport Pro cart into a specific folder, then activate MIK, then I had a mouse macro which replicates the clicks necessary to open the default folder and select all, but it's incredibly glitchy and relies on the window opening in precisely the right place, which it doesn't always.

It's a pity because I went on a mad blitz writing scripts to automate stuff, a year or so back, and getting my new tunes workflow done was on the of the few things I wasn't able to do, because there's no way to call it from the command line. Which is a pity, really.

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com