Gravatar
Savadelic

I'm running Windows 10 (64 Bit), and for the last several months, when I open MIK, it doesn't show the filenames (file) in the browser. The column is there, but its only showing ".." and not allowing me to resize or expand the column to show the filenames. All other columns allow resizing. Regardless of where I position the "File" column, it doesn't allow resizing. I've had this problem through the last several updates. My software is currently up to date. Help please. Thank you.
See Link for screen shot example of issue - Dropbox Image

Gravatar
James Araujo - MIK Team

Hey Stephen,

I've just replied to your email :)

The "..." is actually the file path.

If you click on the "..." it should take you to the folder where that file is located.

Gravatar
Savadelic

Hi James,
I got your email. Thank you for the reply through email and on here...

Unfortunately, here's my situation, and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and hopefully help me and others like myself out...
DJing Weddings, School Dances, Class Reunions, raves (trying to amass every relevant song from every major electronic music genre), House parties, Corporate events, and everything in between for the past 20 years, I've now amassed a ridiculous number of mp3s, well over 2 Terabytes worth, which several times have tested my storage capacities of my various backup methods (HD/CD/DVD/External HDs). So for the past at least 15+ years, I've always deleted all ID3 data from my mp3s as a data-space-saving measure, as it's been the deciding factor several times as to whether or not I could fit entire collections onto mp3 cds/dvds or other storage methods.
ID3 data tends to have a lot of excess data from Cover Art, unnecessary tags, viruses (it's happened to me twice!!) comments, etc, as I'm sure you're well aware of. I understand nowadays with the lowered costs of 4-5TB External Drives this is a smaller concern, but the majority of my (still-in-use) collection still has no ID3s whatsoever.

So long story short, I have over 1.5 TB of my music collection (by far the majority of my entire collection) that has no ID3 tags, and I depend primarily on the filename to identify the songs. In Serato or Traktor, I primarily browse tracks using the filename only since usually I've processed the files through MIK and I rename with Tempo-Key-Filename, so I only need the filename for all relevant info anyway.

Is there a possibility that visible filenames could be re-added in a future release/update?

I understand not making them the default options, but at least having the option would be tremendously helpful to DJs such as myself who have made a practice of deleting all ID3 data to save space, and it also really would help in cases where there may be 2 or 3 songs with the same exact ID3 data but differences only in the filename (clean/dirty edits, exclusives, remixes, etc).
Anyway, hope that all made sense, and hope to hear something encouraging in reply. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

-Stephen

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com