We migrated this Community to a Facebook Group to provide you a better overall experience. Click here and join now!

Gravatar
Ross Mac
I have been trying out harmonic mixing for a while now but I'm no expert. was just wondering if there are any other compatibilities apart from... 1 up 1 down or the same keycode? And where does bpm come into it? for example if I mixed an 8A into a 9A but the 8A was at 128bpm and the 9A was at 125bbm. So obviously I would have to speed up the 9A to beatmatch them... would this still work? Or would the key be altered and they would clash? A few tips would be cool... cheers! Ross Mac
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi Ross, Thanks for posting, I am happy to help. To get you started, you can read about how tempo affects pitch here. I'll post my chart for all possible harmonic mixes tomorrow morning, it's getting late and I don't have it online yet. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Ross Mac
Thanks that helped a lot... look forward to seeing the chart Cheers Ross Mac
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Ok, so here's the promised mixing compatibility chart. Starting on the left you've got your basic harmonic mixes, then energy boost and modulation mixes, and finally the less common major and minor thirds. This is all based on music theory. If you look closely, you will actually see that based on JUST THE ROOT NOTE OF THE SCALE almost every key mixes with almost every other key. We know that in reality this is just not the case. You should be able to use this as a general guideline for experimentation, knowing that not all of these will work for every combination of songs. Vocals especially seem to make some of the less common mixes clash. The semitone and 2 semitone mixes will usually sound best for quick cuts, long blends will typically not sound good. Please let me know what you think, especially about some of the mixes on the right of the chart. Mix Chart Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
Ross Mac
before I start. Sorry it took me so long to reply! had a busy week and just havn't had a chance to have a blast on the decks! But I'm just off from havin a mix and I tried out all of the compatibilities so here's the verdict! +1/-1 = perfect as always 2 semitone energy boost = Excellent! works a treat! I even thought it sounded spot on in long blends... semitone energy boost = erm... not so good for the blends. but as in the name it does give a good boost for a quick drop with a surging bassline. major third = nots so keen on this combination. didn't really get much from it. thought there was a clash which can sometimes work but this compatibility wasn't to my liking. minor third = spot on! thought this combination was good for mixing the breakdown melodies of one tune with the bassline of another. sounded really good! will be using this compatibility often. So that's my verdict. and once again sorry I took so bloody long gettin back to you on that. Thanks very much for your input. was fun experimenting... Cheers! Ross Mac
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Awesome, I'm glad to hear the minor third mix works good for you. A lot of this will depend on the style of music and the individual songs being played, but all of these possibilities are worth exploring. If anyone else plays around with this be sure to leave some feedback. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
p.mac
hi been trying out the mixes on your chart and i agree i like the minor third mixes.i also tried a few mixes using the 6th degree of the scale(i think thats 8 up on the camalot wheel)and got some interesting sound s just wondered if any one else has tried this.
Gravatar
CYBER KID
Hi Chad, I wanna ask you smtg; What is the working principal of Major Third and Minor Third. How can we calculate them from our starting key, I mean the mathematics behind ? Cheers, E.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
What is the working principal of Major Third and Minor Third. How can we calculate them from our starting key, I mean the mathematics behind ? The major third is +4 on the Camelot Wheel, and the minor third is +9. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
dj Dark Passenger
hello, sorry but maybee it's my mistake but if minor third is +9 or -3 like minor 3 ) so why major third is +4 and not +3 major 3???
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
You have to look at the actual notes that the Camelot Keys represent if you want to understand how it works. Let's look at 7A, D minor. A major third up from D minor is F minor, 4A. A major third is one semitone higher than a minor third, so a major third up from D minor is going to be F sharp minor, aka 11A.
Gravatar
Merkau
Chad, Quick question about a little mixing technique a friend of mine heard from Steve Aoki backstage at a show one time. He said to create a sort of tension behind some of your mixes you would mix tracks ACROSS the color wheel. So for example, deck A has a keycode of 3A, and you would mix deck B with a 9A keycoded track....Or a 12B into a 6B track, and so on. I have been playing around with this method for probably about a year now and I think many or my best mixes yet have come using this technique.....have you ever heard of this? I'm just curious because I didn't know about modulation or energy boost mixing until now, but didn't notice anyone mention what my friend and I have been calling the "Aoki Method" LoL. I have a little bit of music theory knowledge but am rusty since its been a couple of years since my class, and its 6 a.m. and I don't really feel like looking into it to try to figure it out at the moment because it will take me forever, and you seem like the go-to-guy. ;) Brilliant stuff about the energy boost and modulation mixing btw. I'm actually constructing my latest mix now and can't wait to throw a couple of those in there. You have introduced me to worlds of possibilities, thank you!
Gravatar
troymichaeldj

Thanks for the Chart this is very helpful.

I am new to harmonic mixing and though i been DJ for many years. Love MIK and have found recent success with it. FYI i am a mobile DJ playing mixed genres.

One questions I have with energy boost. I play dinner music a lot during weddings and events. generally the songs during this period are not beat mixed and usually just fade in and out.

My question is if i setup my dinner music playlist to the rules of harmonic mixing and make it so that it circles the wheel, will this produce a perceived energy boost even though the songs would not be beat mixed?

Thanks

-TM

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

Hi TM,

Thanks for posting, that is a good question. I don't think it's that simple though. If you really want to raise the energy gradually, I would recommend mixing in an energy boost every few songs, that would be much more noticeable. With an energy boost mix (+2 on the Camelot Wheel) every note in the scale of the new song is going to be two semitones higher. When you just mix around the wheel it's more likely for some notes in the song to be higher, some lower.

Cheers,
Chad P

Gravatar
troymichaeldj

Thanks for the reply chad.... maybe a better questions is if the music is not beat mixed and just faded in and out.... would there still be an noticeable advantage to setting up the set to be harmonically matched and also use energy boost combos. No beat mixing here just fade in and out.

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

That is an interesting question. With that style of mixing you have a lot more leeway with playing tracks of varying energy levels. Compare what you are asking about to a trance dj. Yes, trance music has different energy levels, but it doesn't contain any ballads. The energy level range is much narrower than what would be in a wedding DJs arsenal. So your track selection would be your first tool to go to for raising the energy level. With that being said, even if you are not mixing per se I think that harmonic playlists incorporating energy boosts would be noticeable, especially the energy boosts.

Gravatar
DJ Scott

Cudos to MIK; I'm a 8 year customer, starting with MixMeister.

Is there a way to make one's MIK/HM analyzed selections reviewable in the DJ's chosen order?

I have a suggestion for the next upgrade. How about adding an additional tab column in the 'Browse Collection' section of the program to include bringing over the User's 'Rating' from their respective database?... Such that user's utilizing MIK can then quickly review their potential que selections more efficiently and play HM'able FAVORITES. (i.e., Key, Tempo, USER RATING, Energy)?

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Monday, February 18, 2013 1:18 AM DJ Scott wrote:

Is there a way to make one's MIK/HM analyzed selections reviewable in the DJ's chosen order?

Yes, click on the column headers to sort them.

Gravatar
PaulinaXXL

MixMeister Fusion 7.4.4

Highlights -- Change the tempo of a song without changing key*

What's going on?Is it really?

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com