We migrated this Community to a Facebook Group to provide you a better overall experience. Click here and join now!

Gravatar
DJ Greenie
(edit: The steps displayed below are Mac-specific, however they will work fine for Windows users using similar commands/programs) In my opinion if you're serious about your music library, it's best to just start over with a fresh iTunes library now that you've got PN (or better yet, PN and MIK)... however, if you've got dozens or even hundreds of playlists, here's a way to keep those lists intact but use the PN converted files instead. I've done this for a few colleagues and it's worked like a charm every time. NOTE: It is absolutely critical to do EVERY step, and in the order listed. Read and understand each of the steps before beginning. PREP: You will need to refrain from adding any new songs to your iTunes library for one day (or wait until the clock hits midnight and is therefore "tomorrow") before doing this. 1. Quit iTunes if it is open. 2. Open PN, go into Preferences -> Output Folder. Choose "none" to save processed files next to their originals. 3. Process all of your songs with PN. 4. Open a Finder window to display the top/root level of your music library folder (containing both original and converted tracks). 5. Use the "Find" tool (command-F) to search within the folder for all whose Last Modified Date is before Yesterday. This will give you a list of all of your original tracks. 6. Delete (move to trash and empty) all of your original tracks. Alternately you can archive these tracks to an external drive. Whatever your choice, just make sure that the original tracks are not anywhere on your drive. 7. Batch-rename all of your converted files to remove "_PN" from the filename. This will result in filenames that are identical to your originals, in their original file location on your hard drive. (You can download a renaming utility for this, or do it through Automator: http://maketecheasier.com/2-ways-to-batch-rename-files-in-os-x/2009/05/16) 8. Open iTunes. This will keep all of your playlists intact. You will lose play counts and ratings (and a few other iTunes-only meta fields), as iTunes does not store these in the ID3 tags, but otherwise all other ID3 track information will be maintained during the transition. Good luck! DJ Greenie
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Hi DJ Greenie, Thanks for the post, this is great info to have. However, we do not recommend removing the _pn extension from the filenames. Many programs save autogain settings based on filenames, and unless the filename is different for the new PN files they can be playing with the gain setting for the original version of the file. If you are using this method though, be sure to reanalyze the files so you get new autogain settings and waveforms. Cheers, Chad P
Gravatar
DJ Greenie
Chad, I respectfully disagree with your recommendation against the renaming of _PN files. Four key points: First off is something that you refer to in your post: any reasonable audio package that analyzes and stores auto-gain values will allow you to re-analyze tracks. But an important consideration here is that re-analysis of an existing track allows you to maintain all the data that has to be manually defined such as cue points, loops, effect triggers and labels. This is critically important for those of us that work with WAV files. (It's also worth mentioning here that many audio packages store their analysis data such as autogain within ID3 tags. Seeing as how PN4 has now improved the transfer of ID3 tag data, many programs will thus wind up seeing the original autogain value embedded within the converted PN file) Second, a massive number of DJs put countless hours into organizing their collection using iTunes (and similar media players) to create hundreds of playlists and record crates, both hand-picked and auto-generated. In many cases, DJs use non-ID3 data such as song rating and play count to help define their playlists and manage their collection. The decision to throw away all of this data and effort is a very difficult one -- for many, it's simply not an option. Third, if autogain and analysis is really an issue (and one is willing to re-do all cues, loops etc), it's relatively quick wipe a library in Traktor and Serato (etc) start fresh when you have an organized iTunes library. Finally, anyone serious about their audio (DJ, live PA, producer, engineer) knows you can't rely on autogain -- how it sounds to the ears is the most important, and even the best autogain analysis will not prevent clipping. As even you have pointed out on this forum, even PN sometimes fails in this regard. Based on MIK posts in this forum -- and the fact that 4 versions in, PN still does not offer an option of overwriting the original file -- I think MIK grossly underestimates the value of iTunes (et al) as a tool for DJs and related music professionals. Again, my instructions is about preserving the iTunes library and the data/playlists stored within. I certainly do not recommend converting files with PN, renaming to match originals and using them in an audio application without re-analysis.
Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)
Again, my instructions is about preserving the iTunes library and the data/playlists stored within. I certainly do not recommend converting files with PN, renaming to match originals and using them in an audio application without re-analysis. Sounds like we're on the same page then :)
Gravatar
DJ Greenie
bump... because people keep asking about this...
Gravatar
mh10014
what I did is once I am in finder I searched for a "name" that contains" : _PN and all my PN files came up and I was able to delete them....hope this helps
Gravatar
Redeyejedi

So do you lose the ratings from your tracks in iTunes if you do it DJ Greenie's way?

Also, surely you lose all of the files that PN was unable to process (long files)? Is there a way around this?

Cheers

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

I haven't tried this myself, I normally use a separate output folder. Once the new, processed files have been imported I sort on date added and remove the older files.

Gravatar
DJ TGA

On a Windows PC, i do all of this manually when replacing files.

Primary reason is that most of the files i analyze are MP3-files, but the files i get after using Platinum Notes is manually converted AAC (.m4a) files (i output to WAV and then convert them using Foobar2000 and the Nero AAC codec, and then transporting the ID3 tags with an external tagging-software).

So anyway here is how i do it after I've been through Platinum Notes:

1) Open iTunes. Go to a playlist i have created with the files i processed in PN.

2) Right click on one file, and select "Show in Explorer".

3) Delete the old file. Move the new Platinum Notes file over.

4a) If the old file as also an AAC-file (.m4a), just rename the Platinum Notes file to the same name and you're done.

4b) If the old file is an MP3-file, renaming is not an option. Instead you go into iTunes and try to play the file. It will give you an error about the old file since you deleted it and will ask you to locate it manually. Simply use this tool to locate the new file.

5) Rinse and repeat.

It's a time-consuming process, but I'm getting there.

And i also agree with Greenie on this one :)

Gravatar
Douglas Jones

Hi Chad,

i did what DJ Greenie said to do and it worked, nearly!!! i have about 7000 tracks in iTunes and it worked with all but 2000 of them, itunes cant locate them for some reason even though i can manually find them when iTunes asks me to (1 by 1). i have dont many searches on line to find out how to get itunes to locate multiple tracks and found alot of answers that havent worked so far.(turning off a couple of options in itunes preferences and getting itunes to look for the remaining tracks, hasnt worked. ) so can you help me please?

Cheers,
Doug

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

Try going to the File menu in iTunes and select "Add folder to library" and then simply select your music folder. If you're lucky that should take care of it.

Gravatar
Douglas Jones

thanks for the reply. all that did was duplicate all the 2000 missing tracks. in my playlists all the tracks are still missing and i would have to manually locate them all. any other ideas? thanks

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Monday, September 09, 2013 6:49 PM Douglas Jones wrote:

any other ideas?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+remove+missing+tracks+from+itunes&oq=how+to+remove+missing+tr&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.3777j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Gravatar
MeM

what happens to the songs in your itunes playlists when this happens?

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Friday, April 23, 2010 6:19 PM DJ Greenie wrote:

Delete (move to trash and empty) all of your original tracks. Alternately you can archive these tracks to an external drive. Whatever your choice, just make sure that the original tracks are not anywhere on your drive.

Gravatar
MeM
  1. Quit iTunes if it is open.

2. Open PN, go into Preferences -> Output Folder. Choose "none" to save processed files next to their originals.

3. Process all of your songs with PN.

4. Batch-rename all of your converted files to remove "_PN" from the filename. This will result in filenames that are identical to your originals, in their original file location on your hard drive.
    (You can download a renaming utility for this, or do it through Automator: http://maketecheasier.com/2-ways-to-batch-rename-files-in-os-x/2009/05/16)

5. Open iTunes.

Hi, a few questions.
How do you process your songs in PN if you close iTunes?!? I thought you should drag the songs from iTunes into PN, no?!?
I followed all of your instructions above but the converted files are not named with the "PN". Did I do something wrong?
I am having trouble telling which song is which because the file is in the same location but when I add it to my iTunes library, it creates a new file that DOES NOT have the "
PN"

M

Gravatar
MeM

this did not work for me. I tested it out on ONE SONG and there was NO FILE CREATED WITH AN "_PN" and it DID NOT REPLACE the song that was in the playlist!

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Saturday, June 07, 2014 12:50 AM MeM wrote:

there was NO FILE CREATED WITH AN "_PN"

If no file was created surely there must have been some sort of error in PN? Where exactly are you looking for the file? Did you set an output folder, or is PN set to write the file to the same folder as original? Did you turn off the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option in iTunes (you should if you didn't)?

Gravatar
sdaoug1

removed

Gravatar
DJ Freak Out

I've just spent some time coming up with a solution to this for Windows. I've documented it here and its a full Platinum Notes process of all iTunes tracks with all playlists retained and no time consuming manual track by track adjustments required...
Cheers
Adam

Gravatar
DJ Monolit

I need delete PN in new converted tracks , because Traktor playlists don't recodnise new conwerted with PN tracks , have a lots of work done whis original files how can i use new converted tracks with old tracks playlist in Traktor??

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

There isn't a way to replace the files in Traktor playlists. I would recommend processing files one playlist at a time, dragging them into PN from the playlist in Traktor. Once a batch is complete remove the originals from Traktor and then drag those files from PN's output back into their playlist in Traktor.

Gravatar
DJ Monolit

ye but Traktor not recodnize new PN traks coz they have ''PN'' in the end of them and basicly I do not have a options....., to create new playlist it take me forever coz I done a lots of work on my music - CUE points ,Loops , beat grid ..... and if i replace playlist all work will go ... Please help coz soud like I bout pointless program....

Gravatar
Chad (MIK Mod)

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:55 AM Chad P (Mixed In Key) wrote:

I would recommend processing files one playlist at a time, dragging them into PN from the playlist in Traktor. Once a batch is complete remove the originals from Traktor and then drag those files from PN's output back into their playlist in Traktor.

Gravatar
hookedonhouse

MUCH EASIER WAY TO DO IT AND NOT LOSE RATINGS OR OTHER ITUNES INFO ... if you have itunes preference selected in the advanced tab where iTunes keeps your library organized by track ID, artist, etc. then in platinum notes you'll want to select "MIRROR STRUCTURE OF INPUT FOLDER" ... if you dont have itunes organizing your music by folders, then you dont need this option selected. Create a separate output folder in Platinum Notes from your itunes library.. PROCESS ALL YOUR MUSIC.. this will now have all your originals in itunes AND all your platinum notes processed files in a separate folder with _PN after the name. All you have to do is open the automator program in your mac. Created a simple workflow. Select the "files & folders" library.. now add "get specified finder items" then "get folder contents" then "rename finder items" .. put find _PN and leave "replace with" blank.. in the get specified finder items select your music folder with your platinum notes cleaned tracks. in the "get folder contents" step .. select "repeat for each subfolder" .. click the run button at the top right of automator.. this will remove all the _PN from each track name.. because the file names will be the exact same as your old ones.. itunes will just assume that your library was the exact same as it was before and all your ratings will remain unchanged. .. now make sure itunes is closed.. go to your itunes folder and then music and delete everything. paste your platinum notes tracks inside you itunes music folder.. open itunes.. BAM all your ratings are still there.. i have over 20,000 songs.. this seemed like a nightmare.. after doing this .. i also ran platinum notes on my NEW itunes library to confirm that there were no clipped peaks... thus verifying that my entire library had been cleaned :)

Gravatar
dangdatkat

I just wanted to post an alternative method to rename the files without downloading any software. This works in Windows 10.

You can use one line of code in Windows PowerShell to rewrite all the names.

After you navigate to the folder containing the Platinum Note files in PowerShell (mine was C:\Users\jon\Desktop\PN-Output ), use the code below. This will rename all the files in all the sub folders removing the "_pn".

Get-ChildItem -Filter “_pn” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$.name -replace ‘pn’,’’ }

More details: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/11/22/use-powershell-to-rename-files-in-bulk/

Gravatar
TimMIK

On Monday, September 26, 2016 3:22 PM dangdatkat wrote:

I just wanted to post an alternative method to rename the files without downloading any software. This works in Windows 10.

You can use one line of code in Windows PowerShell to rewrite all the names.

After you navigate to the folder containing the Platinum Note files in PowerShell (mine was C:\Users\jon\Desktop\PN-Output ), use the code below. This will rename all the files in all the sub folders removing the "_pn".

Get-ChildItem -Filter “_pn” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$.name -replace ‘pn’,’’ }

More details: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2013/11/22/use-powershell-to-rename-files-in-bulk/

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing!

Tim (Mixed In Key)

Gravatar
Just BJ

This works GREAT. So long as the files are in the same format (aac, mp3, etc).

Some files stored in iCloud come back as 256k AAC. I'm efforting to find an easy way to swap those tracks while keeping all that taggy goodness (Date Added might be the biggest hurdle) without having to "Locate lost track" for each one. This month's iTunes module (12.5.x) isn't helping

Gravatar
Tojo

Thank you for the comprehensive answer for maintaining complete iTunes Structure.
I am considering of going ahead with this method. I have a HUGE library and don't want to mess anything up. You suggested processing ALL THE MUSIC, so before I do so, I have a couple of questions,

1. Do we need to change the processed file's extension from mp3 to m4a? (Platinum notes converts files to mp3, iTunes files are m4a)

2. Did you encounter any "re-downloads" from iTunes cloud? Or for example if you sync your iOS device with your Mac, it transfers "missing" purchases. How can one tackle that?

Thanks in advance,
Tojo

Gravatar
Tojo

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:22 PM hookedonhouse wrote:

MUCH EASIER WAY TO DO IT AND NOT LOSE RATINGS OR OTHER ITUNES INFO ... if you have itunes preference selected in the advanced tab where iTunes keeps your library organized by track ID, artist, etc. then in platinum notes you'll want to select "MIRROR STRUCTURE OF INPUT FOLDER" ... if you dont have itunes organizing your music by folders, then you dont need this option selected. Create a separate output folder in Platinum Notes from your itunes library.. PROCESS ALL YOUR MUSIC.. this will now have all your originals in itunes AND all your platinum notes processed files in a separate folder with _PN after the name. All you have to do is open the automator program in your mac. Created a simple workflow. Select the "files & folders" library.. now add "get specified finder items" then "get folder contents" then "rename finder items" .. put find _PN and leave "replace with" blank.. in the get specified finder items select your music folder with your platinum notes cleaned tracks. in the "get folder contents" step .. select "repeat for each subfolder" .. click the run button at the top right of automator.. this will remove all the _PN from each track name.. because the file names will be the exact same as your old ones.. itunes will just assume that your library was the exact same as it was before and all your ratings will remain unchanged. .. now make sure itunes is closed.. go to your itunes folder and then music and delete everything. paste your platinum notes tracks inside you itunes music folder.. open itunes.. BAM all your ratings are still there.. i have over 20,000 songs.. this seemed like a nightmare.. after doing this .. i also ran platinum notes on my NEW itunes library to confirm that there were no clipped peaks... thus verifying that my entire library had been cleaned :)

Thank you for the comprehensive answer for maintaining complete iTunes Structure.
I am considering of going ahead with this method. I have a HUGE library and don't want to mess anything up. You suggested processing ALL THE MUSIC, so before I do so, I have a couple of questions,

1. Do we need to change the processed file's extension from mp3 to m4a? (Platinum notes converts files to mp3, iTunes files are m4a)

2. Did you encounter any "re-downloads" from iTunes cloud? Or for example if you sync your iOS device with your Mac, it transfers "missing" purchases. How can one tackle that?

Thanks in advance,
Tojo

Support

If you want to re-install your software, you can click here to recover your download links and your VIP Codes.

If you have any other tech support questions, email us at contact@mixedinkey.com